1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by suz15april, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. suz15april

suz15april Thread Starter

I was typing a letter today in Microsoft Word 2000. All the letters in the left-hand margin were capitalized, even in the middle of a sentence. I typed them as lower case letters and as soon as I hit the space bar, they changed to caps. I had to go back and change all of them to lower case. My son and I checked all the settings, but could not find the problem. Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure we missed something.

2. melonhead

melonhead

Highlight the words that you want in capital and then go format - choose change case - and then choose lower case.

You may have inadvertently set them to be formated to upper case. This should take care of it. Hope this helps.

3. Miz

Miz

Are you hitting the Enter/Return key at the end of every line? If so, Word will assume the next line is the beginning of a new sentence and will capitalize the first letter of the first word.

If that's the case, instead of hitting the Enter key when your typing reaches the end of a line, just keep on typing. Word will do the "carriage return" for you. See if the capital-letter problem disappears. Old typing habits are hard to break. ;)

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Tools - Autocorrect - uncheck "Capitalize the first letter..", however not hitting Enter at the line end and allowing Word to "word wrap" will also stop that action as mentioned.

5. suz15april

suz15april Thread Starter

Thank you MIZ. I was hitting the enter/return key as you mentioned. I am a typist from way back and was not familiar with Word. Your solution and the others were appreciated.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice