1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hettz00, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hettz00

hettz00 Thread Starter

I have microsoft word on my computer and when I was working on my resume this past weekend, it started acting up. It kept freezing, and I realized that whenever i used the scroll bar on the side to move my pages up or down, thats when it would freeze; every time. Also when i save documents to my computer it will save it, but it will also save it under this different thing also. For example, if i had a document titled, "resume" and i saved it, it would save under the name "resume" but it would also save under the name ~esume, or something of that nature. Any help would be great!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

While the document is open, there will always be a copy of the file starting with ~

That is the "working copy" Word maintains, it is normal.

It is deleted when you close the document, and only remains if Word crashes without closing. Then it can be used in a recovery.

Does the freezing occur when other applications are used, or is it only Word?

3. hettz00

hettz00 Thread Starter

It only happens in word. And when i had my resume on the screen at my school computer lab the next day, i tried to use the scroll bar and it froze again.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I would suggest that the "normal.dot" default template on your PC is corrupt, and that causes all documents created using it to have a problem, hence the problem transferred with the document.

Delete your home copy of "normal.dot". A new one will be created when Word next runs.

It is a hidden / system file do you need to enable the viewing of those or it will not be found. It must exist, so if you cannot find it, you have not enabled the search options correctly.

Do not have Word open at the time.

When that is done, open the resume and edit-select all-copy
    Then open a new blank document and edit-paste.

5. hettz00

hettz00 Thread Starter

I am unsure about how to delete that normal.dot. I do not know where to go to find it. Please help!

Also it might be the normal file because quite often a box will pop up that says that the normal template could not be loaded or something of those sorts.

6. hettz00

hettz00 Thread Starter

ok so forget the last message. I figured out how to find the normal file and i deleted it. Then i did what you said in word with my resume. I tested it out and it still freezes when i try using the scroll bar.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice