1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Works 8.5 Cannot Print

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jecal22, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jecal22

jecal22 Thread Starter

Problem:
    I am working on a customers computer who uses Microsoft Works 8.5 and cannot print from the word processor. The printer works fine from all other programs, including other MS Works programs, just not within Works Word Processor. When trying to print, you get the following error message with the title of "Printing Error":

If you hit yes, then you receive a message titled "Printers" with the message: "Operation could not be completed. Access denied." - OK

I have already tried (though not in this order):
    1 ) Unplugging and reinstalling printer.
    2 ) Deleted all installed printers.
    3 ) Removed all installed printer drivers (Control Panel -> Printers -> Server Properties -> Drivers, cleared all in the list)
    4 ) Removed Microsoft Works
    5 ) Reinstalled Microsoft Works, the only error during installation was about a flash version 7 install which failed. This should not be a problem however, and the installation completes after that failure. This error should be due to the fact that Adobe Flash 10 is installed and newer than the version trying to be installed.
    6 ) Ran Windows updates to update MS Works with security updates and any other available updates.
    7 ) Allowed Windows update to also update HP printer
    8 ) Installed updated printer from HP website
    9 ) Created a "dummy" printer using a lower model of printer driver (ie. HP Deskjet 500) and the same port as the actual printer.
    10) Due to an error when opening Works Spreadsheet about having over 500 fonts installed, I cleared all the non system required fonts from the windows fonts folder and cleared the font cache file. This got rid of the error when opening Spreadsheet but had no effect on the printer issue

If I delete all available printers from the printers list, then when trying to print in Works I get the following message instead of the one above titled "Microsoft Works":

Extra Information:
    Windows XP Media Center SP3 w/ all updates
    Microsoft Works 8.5 w/ updates
    1.5GB RAM
    Intel T2050 1.6GHz

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 6ofClubs

6ofClubs

I am working on a PC that has the same issue. Was non existent until recently, not sure if it was an update or not. Running Vista with Works. Also, found that I get the same or similar error message using Adobe Reader X. Have tried to uninstall everything printer and reinstall.... no love. Since it is not my PC I thought that it was a driver issue with the printer, again that is not the issue. All other apps seem to recognize the printer w/o issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice