1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Works or Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by weeGeordie, Oct 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weeGeordie

weeGeordie Thread Starter

Is the word processor included with Microsoft Works actually Word? A friend has asked what it would cost but the difference in pricing between Word and Works seems awfully large which implies that it's not actually Word that is being used.

Thanks ...weeG

2. johnni

johnni

When my PC came with Works installed it included Word2000; that was because it was the Works Suite 2000. If it had been Works 2000 it would have included the Works standard word processor, speadsheet, database, calendar, and not the other programs that the Suite includes, such as Money, Home Publishing, AutoRoute etc.
    I remember 'phoning Microsoft before the PC was delivered to ask if Word 2000 was the full version and not a cut-down version; they assured me it was the full version and so it was. Depending on your requirements you may find the basic Works acceptable.
    Incidentally, when I explored the Works Suite files I found the basic word processor was included but no shortcut to it since one was expected to use Word!

johnni

3. weeGeordie

That makes it about 1/2 price to buy Works Suite versus the full Word product. Thanks johnni

4. TonyJollans

TonyJollans

I believe the Works word processor is a cut down version of Word. A lot of PCs (in the UK at least) shipped with Word 2000 when it was new, but I don't believe the full version is part of Works.

5. weeGeordie

It's definitely not the full Word with Works, but it looks like the full Word is included with the Works Suite. Thanks

6. johnni

johnni

There seems to be some confusion here. The word processor that come with Works does not even call itself Word (I'm not sure what it is called - maybe Write?), but the one that comes with Works Suite does.
    I no longer have Works Suite installed as I have installed Office 2000. As far as Office 2000 Word and Works Suite 2000 Word are concerned I have not noticed the slightest difference. This confirms what Microsoft told me when I 'phoned them.

johnni

7. weeGeordie

The confusion seems to be between Works and Works Suite.

They are two different products and only the latter includes Word, and it is the full featured version.

The current version of Works Suite is 2005 and it includes Word 2002.

8. JohnJ

JohnJ

If my memory serves correctly....

I believe Word is the full version. What you don't get is the full version of Excel. (If you get the Suite that includes that as well)

9. johnni

johnni

Things may have changed - I can only talk about Works 2000 Suite.
    Yes, you get the Full Word 2000; you also get the Works spreadsheet and Works database, but these are not (and are not called) Excel or Access, although they do a similar job in a lesser capacity.
    You takes your choice.......

johnni

10. finwood

finwood

Works includes a word processor , a data base, and a spreadsheet. The Works Suite substitutes MS Word for the word processor only.....the other two are the same. The Suite also has other programs like MS Money, Home Publishing, Calendar, and some others. Unless you really need the advanced functions of Access, or Excel, stick with the Works database, and spreadsheet. I have never used Excel, but Access is so much harder to use. I switched to Access, and would have to get out my book to remind myself how to write report, or form letter, if It had been awhile since I had done it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/281145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice