1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft Works Suite 2000 Database

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Kepiano, Feb 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

After a major crash I lost all of the Works Suite and had to reinstall it. Now the database crashes everytime I try to use it. Norton intercepts the crash and gives me this message:
    OleMainThreadWndName
    Everything else in the Suite works fine.
    I need some help.
    Thank you
    Bonnie

2. Sponsor

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy Anne

Okay. I've waited long enough to see if someone could help you. The only thing I can suggest is to make a copy (just to be safe), then using Word, hit File-Open, change the "files of type" to "recover text from any document" and open the file.

If it was a simple database of addresses or something like that, you may be able to extract your data at least. If you're successful getting the data out of it, let me know and I can possibly help get it back into a database.

4. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The database works if I turn off Norton Crashguard. I have no idea why that let's it work, but I guess I can live with it.
    Bonnie

5. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Hey, I'm Access, not Works, so I didn't jump in here. But if I may say so, turn off CrashGuard for good. You'll crash less.

My basic rule: unless you're borderline paranoid, you don't need programs running in the background that screw up everything else. Others here may disagree, but I doubt it. CrashGuard invented its own utility, and as far as I'm concerned, it does more harm than good.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy Anne

7. Kepiano

Kepiano Thread Starter

Unfortunately I jumped the gun on blaming Norton. It still does it. It let me in once without Norton and the next time I got:
    This program has performed an illegal operation & will be shut down. Details: WKSDB caused a general protection fault in module VPRDRVX.DRV at 0001:00004f02.
    Bonnie

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/68882