1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

microsoft

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bark, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bark

bark Thread Starter

I am trying to burn a copy of micsoft word & office from my desk top so i can load it on my lap top. When I try to load it on the lap top the load new software program box comes up but it wont load. So i copied it to the hard drive but it still won't open. I don't know if i am not copying all the files needed from my desk top?????????? and if not where can i find them.

thanks,
    bark

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Not so sure you will be able to do this,its probably copy protected,but there may be other answers telling you different ........

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What are you copying from your desktop? If it's the folder in C:\Program Files, it's not going to work. You have to install it from the original disks used to install it on the desktop. Depending on the license that came with the CDs, you may be able to install it on both a laptop and a desktop as long as both computers aren't in use at the same time. Read the EULA.txt file on the CDs to make sure.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It will definitely have to be installed from the original media. Office is a very complex program with many registry changes and numerous locations for installed files. Only a few end up in Program Files.

If it's Office XP, you'll need to purchase another copy (or license) since you'll be unable to activate the same copy a second time.

5. john@help

[email protected] Banned

no you are copying a shortcut (lnk) not (exe) to fix this click start run type C:\program files\microsoft works and copy all the files (and folders)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, [email protected], that won't do a thing. As noted previously, Microsoft Office will only function if it's installed from the original media. You can't simply copy the folders the application resides in.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice