1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft's Excel Might Be The Most Dangerous Software On The Planet

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by holymoly, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I just have to comment on this. One of my clients is one of those banks.

A couple of years ago, I got a contract with them and they gave me an Excel spreadsheet - a large and complicated financial model. My task was to evaluate it, then tell them how best to improve it.

This model ran to about 100 worksheet tabs, in a few cases with thousands of rows and hundreds of columns, filled the entire 3+ Gigs of a 32 bit Windows machine, and would run for as much as 16 hours when they ran some cases. There was also a LOT of hand-work in it.

It took me months to decipher, disassemble, document, and understand this model. And along the way, I did find a number of errors - a couple of them potentially very significant. I also found lots of opportunities to introduce errors in the hand-work portions of the model.

The Federal Reserve depends in part on this model for their decision making.

I wound up generating a design and documentation for a wholly new system for this bank, based on SQL Server with a Java front end (Java was their choice, not mine). They are now building it in-house, and I expect further contracts to do quality assurance and validation work a bit later on.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!