1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft's MS messenger

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Nina Marie, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nina Marie

Nina Marie Thread Starter

I just replaced the hard drive on my computer and had to reload everything. I have a HP 7867, ME, 1Ghz, 60 GB. I went to Microsoft's Update we and reinstalled the instant messenger.
    When you go to this site and click on Updates it scans your computer and gives you a list of different updates for your particular OS. The instant messenger it listed was a 4.5 version, I installed it and noticed it was much nicer than the previous 3.6 version I had. The next day when I opened it I saw I was back to the 3.6 version. I wrote to them and asked why this was.
    When I got online later, about two hours after my e-mail to them, I went to the update site and thought I'd try reinstalling it. Well, it was no longer listed. I checked my recent Installation history and NO messenger was listed. Since I just reinstalled it along with everything else listed there, I don't understand that. I went to check on the status of my inquiry and it came back "Nothing Pending"!!!
    I did a search of the site for the 4.5 version and found it listed as only for XP. I tried to checkout the 4.0 version but each time I tried to get information on it the window went blank and my computer froze.
    I don't expect any answers to this, I just needed to vent. They really tick me off with their game playing.
    Thanks for listening.

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I use version 4.5 on win98. no problems at all. forget windows update on this one, goto directly to msn download site and install that one.

3. Nina Marie

Thanks for your suggestion, but I tried this, but for some reason when I click on the download button the pop up window goes blank, just the frame opens. Then I have to click CTRL,ALT,DELETE to get out of it because everything freezes.
    I think when they removed it, and I do believe they did because my download history file, the one at their site, was changed. It doesn't show ANY Messenger being downloaded, although I downloaded it along with everything else on the list. Why they would do this........I don't know.

4. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

5. Nina Marie

Thanks Shadow for the help.
    I tried the first link you gave me and the same problem occurred. The frame opened the banner came up and it froze. When clicked CTRL>ALT>DELETE....NET Messenger Service-Start Download-Microsoft Internet Explorer (Not Responding).?
    Then I used the actual download and it worked.
    Thanks again.

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

cool, I hope the new msn version intsall fixed everything

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!