1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Microsoft's own antivirus fails to secure Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by khazars, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. khazars

khazars Thread Starter

2. TechB

TechB

It was a problem with the antivrus software not with Vista. Nowwhere in the article does it say that any of the viruses infected any computers. It said the various scanners failed to detect the viruses. This says a lot about the scanners but not much about Vista. It's just more anti-Vista hype that makes good press. If it was a serious article why didn't they publish a link to the study so we could draw our own conclusions?

3. khazars

khazars Thread Starter

You sound like a Gates apologist, have you shares in Microsoft?

This is to inform users that they can't rely on Microsoft's own products to protect their computers. Didn't Gates boast that this is the most secure Windows ever!?

Read it again!

4. oliver.d

oliver.d

It is the most secure version of Windows ever.. Just because a early version of antivirus software from microsoft doesn't cut the mustard isnt to say vista isnt up to scratch. Let's face it, these vista PCs were purposely infected, with all the enhancements with IE7 and Vista, it's unlikely viruses will get onto people's computers in the first place.

5. khazars

khazars Thread Starter

Really, we'll see!

Speech recognition anyone, let's wait and see over the next 6-12 months and then we'll see all the holes appear, you'll be patching constantly just like we all had to do with all the other Windows OS!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6320865.stm

6. TechB

TechB

OK, I read it again. They tested 15 antivirus programs that run on Vista. Four of them didn't detect all the viruses. They don't say how many viruses or if they just scanned some infected files or if the computers were infected with the viruses. This is actually a better result than most anitvirus tests. I've never seen a test where all the scanners caught every virus. In most test it's rare for more than one or two out fifteen to catch everything. One of the scanners that failed was Live Onecare from Microsoft. Anyone who knows anything about computer security doesn't recommend Live Onecare. It has a very poor record in any test I've ever seen published. What does any of this have to do with Vista except that it happened to be the OS they were running the scanners on. A virus scanner uses the same signatures regardless of the OS. The same scanners would have failed that test on XP or any other OS they could run on. It was a test of virus scanners not OS'. To extrapolate from that test that Vista is insecure as they seem to infer is sensationalism at it's worst.

I don't have shares in Microsoft. I am a Microsoft MVP but that does not mean I'm a Microsoft apologist. I am a very harsh critic of many things Microsoft does. Live Onecare is one of the things I think they have done very wrong. The firewall is less secure than the built in one, the registry cleaner is just about the worst piece of garbage I've ever seen, and the antivirus is one of the worst as well. Again, what does this have to do with Vista?

7. oliver.d

oliver.d

Yeah of course. There are bound to be flaws that get detected in such a popular widely used operating system.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice