1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mid-high spec gaming pc bsod's.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fonejacker, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fonejacker

fonejacker Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 32646 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070,gaming x 8gb
    Hard Drives: C: 2047 GB (1782 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z97P-D3
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

If this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it

Okay, where to begin.

I have been working on this issue for around 2 months now, both on my own and with the help of the local computer store, though they are more familiar with standard home office computers than gaming rigs.

Problem started when i found out my WD 3tb hdd was starting to fail, so a friend if mine bought and dispatched a new toshiba 4tb drive as a favour (completely skint). The hdd arrived, so i went about replacing old with new and reinstalling windows. Now im a pretty average pc user, and reinstalling windows is something i have done often, but iv never swapped out a hdd. Anyway, upon rebooting, the pc would freeze at the starting windows screen, just before the coloured bubbles form the window.
    Knowing that it may just have been a bad install, i repeated my steps, and no dice, trouble continued. So i went back to my old hdd, reinstalled windows and low and behold, same problem.

Took to the local pc store and they had it for a whole week testing and testing, reinstalling, trying windows 10 ect, but they had no luck either and figured bad mobo, so i took there advice and scraped together enough to by an identical new replacement. Imagine my surprise when after installing the new mobo, same problem! so mobo was'nt the problem. I had them run the new version of memtest86 on all 32gb of ram, stick by stick and all together, solid passes throughout. They tested the psu, and apparently that was fine too. they couldnt test the cpu at the time, something about not having the right gear to test an old haswell, but they pinned the problem down to that.

Now after getting it back home, i have spent the last 6 weeks going through bsod forums, checking minidumps with bluescreen viewer and trying every trick in the book to get this to stop, including getting the father in law to fork out for the pro version of drivereasy, and using Chkdsk, sfc /scannow, memtest86 again from bootable media, reinstalling windows(*) and underclocking the cpu,gpu ect to 1 ghz BELOW factory non overclocked stock speeds, aswell as disabling the K oc on the i7 and turbo boost,reinstalling and updating all drivers, and trying installs on both the old and new hdd. Updated the bios, but the only recent version was a beta version from 2015 i believe. That promptly reset itself both times i tried after crashing a desktop/ingame and having to hard reboot.

The issue is uncorrectable hardware error, and to start with the bsod varied. Getting everything from "clock interrupt was not recieved on a secondary processor" to "Machine Check Exception.

After the various steps above i managed to get it stable to the point where it was repeating the same bsod everytime, involving the Hal.dll and ntoskrnl. through more updating ect i appear to have elimated the hal.dll isssue, but now ntosktrnl.exe is crashing everytime i run anything demanding (such as Arma3, this is my main game and also the main culprit, everytime i launch give it anywhere between 1 and 20 min it crashes the system with the bsod. Other programs cause it too, and have tested with many different games. Temps are good, cpu can hit high 60's under load, but once i increase fan spead that usually drops by a good 5 degrees plus. Gpu temps rarely hit 55, and system temps are around 30 idle and 50 under load.

*(Now, i am aware my original hdd was installed via UEFI and onto a gpt partition. So i tried that also, converting the new hdd to gpt (was delivered mbr) and reinstalling windows. again no dice, and unfortunately the pc came with and OEM version of Windows 7 pro 64bit, and i'm unable to download an iso to try and create a bootable uefi stick, and im also worried my disc may be corrupted possibly with the number of reinstalls i have done since i received the pc (2 years))

I have tried absolutely everything within my means to solve this issue and the store are still pointing at the cpu (which i have tested using intels diagnostic and passed every check). I tried prime 95, but the pc completely locked up within seconds of the job starting.

Any insight would be appreciative, and i can provide the bsod mindumps over the last 5 or so crashes i believe

Thanks for taking the time to trudge through my wall of text, i made the history of the issue as brief as possible

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1192635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice