1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mid-Range Graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gourdo, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gourdo

Gourdo Thread Starter

Currently run a nVidia 6600GT card. The fan bearing makes a hell of a noise when the system comes on and can take 3-4 minutes to settle down. I'm not a gamer, but doe use the pc for watching movies and photoshop work. Any suggestions for a good mid-range card that won't break the bank? Top end spend would be £100 ($200?) but probably happier round £65-70. MB supports SLI but I really want to replace a noisy card not pair it up with another!

2. Jones

Jones

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

I'd suggest a passive-cooled GeForce 8500GT (i.e. one with a big heatsink but no fan), they're cheap as chips, will run most of the latest games (albeit not at the highest settings) and there's no fan to wear out. An 8600GT is also an option, they're available passive-cooled as well but the heatsink is so massive it will block the adjacent PCI slot.

4. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

What are your computers stats? If you're running XP I'd say go for a GeForce 7800 (what I actually have right now) or possibly a 7900 if your computer can run it.

The 8800 is top of the line, you asked for a mid range card. If you're running Vista I'd have to say go with an 8600 or so, just to be able to get DirectX10, although you said you're not a gamer.

Also, is the only reason you want to change your current card is because of the noise the fan makes? Why not just replace the fan. That is, if you aren't unhappy with it's performance.

5. Jones

Jones

Two things. First: The 8800 is NOT top of the line anymore. It's a good high-performance card, but the 9800GTX and 9800GX2 are the new topline cards. In fact, there are numerous levels of 8800 that range from the low-mid range (ie: 8800GS) to the near-top end (8800GTX). 8600GT's are considered 'entry-level' and can be found right now for around $70 US.

Second: 7000 series cards offer much less performance-per-dollar than their newer 8000 series cousins. Anyone looking for a new 'mid-range' card would be foolish to choose anything from the 7000 series unless they find the card on a ridiculous sale price.

Here is a listing of the 'best' cards available for certain price points:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/04/07/the_best_gaming_graphics_cards_for_the_money/

It should give you an idea of what to look for, and how various cards are classified.

6. Kenny Gates

Kenny Gates

7. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

Well he's not gaming and he's not looking to spend a lot of money, why talk him into buying a card that he's not going to use? As far as the 7's pricing, I've noticed the AGP's are pricey but the PCIe cards aren't that bad. I would pick one up off eBay for cheap and call it a day.

I really forgot the 98's were out, but I wouldn't even think about recommending it as I still think an 8800 would be overkill for what he's using it for. Photoshop doesn't really tax the graphics card as much as the CPU, and a 7800 would play DVDs fine.

8. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

9. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

Thats what I said.

10. Jones

Jones

Not trying to talk him into something he's not going to use. Simply stating that a mid-range graphics card (which is what he asked for) is now considered to be the 8800GS or GT.

Based on his description of what he's doing, a 7000 series card would of course do the job. But for the same amount of cash though, why would anyone not get an 8000 series card?

He posted a desired budget of between £70 and £100, which is MORE than enough to get something like an 8500GT or 8600GT, which are nice entry-level cards, or even a 8800GS, and are far superior to equivalently priced 7000 series cards.

For example, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a Pentium 4 processor, even though it's 'all they need'. Newer technology works better, is more efficient, and actually costs less than some older legacy stuff that can be hard to find.

Just my two cents.

11. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

No, I see what you're saying. But where as you can always use more CPU power no matter what you're doing, its not so much the case with graphics cards.

And I guess new, retail, a 7800 would probably be the same amount as an 8600 but I would honestly go used, great deals that way.

12. brite750

brite750

a 6600gt is fine for what you say you are doing, just fix the fan

13. Gourdo

Gourdo Thread Starter

How hard is it to fix the fan? I figured that it was integrated in to the graphics card. If I can unscrew it and bang a new one in then that could be an acceptable short-term solution I think.

14. Jones

Jones

15. brite750

brite750

yeah most of them just have some plastic pins, you use needlenose pliers to pinch the locking tabs together to release the pins and the heatsink. you clean off the GPU with 90%Alcohol and Q-tips, aplly the thermal transfer grease that usually comes with the fan and pop the new hsf in place, 10 minute job tops.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice