1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mid-Tower and Full-Tower Cases

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by holtzmjh, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holtzmjh

holtzmjh Thread Starter

Forgot to ask this in my last thread. Is there any difference between a mid-tower ATX case and a full-tower other than height? Thanks.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Could be----lots of differences between same type of cases....things like number of holes to mount different motherboards, removable trays, drive bay hangers, fan locations, power supply with or without, number of extra power leads, 3 sided case removal or handier individual side panels removeable, and the big difference....space. The height can be a problem with full size towers....they sometimes dont fit under desks, have a bottom stabilizer that adds height, too. Mid-size ones vary too. Have you seen the short wide ones.......they look like two cases in one in width, people are going nuts about them. HERE

HERE TOO:

3. holtzmjh

holtzmjh Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I am just looking with something with more space. Currently I have a Mid-tower case and I would like to switch to a full tower. The only thing I am worried about is whether my motherboard will fit and whether I can put in my old power supply. The cases I have been looking at don't come with a power supply. My case is a mid-tower like I said with a 350 watt power supply and is ATX.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

I guess you'd have to browse some supply sites for cases....look at the detailed specs, pics, etc....generally, if they say ATX compatible, or just ATX, it means that type of motherboard will fit in the case. Of course- there are some gotchas....some cases provide extended holes, for slightly tweaking the board's pre-drilled holes so they line up...some don't. They may even provide a blueprint of the hole spacing, so you can actually measure your board and match it pretty well with the case specs.
    There are sometimes power supply connector length problems when you upsize- but you can get extenders and y-splitters to help reach drives that are further away. IDE cables also come in extended sizes for big towers.
    Power supplies are another thing....there are a lot of various configurations....but generally again, ATX is ATX....there are size and shape, fan grille location and direction of airflow differences.
    You have to pay attention to the ATX sub-categories, baby ATX, and so on.
    They also usually state the measurements at the sites where you would buy or review them.. Try some of these: HERE

5. holtzmjh

holtzmjh Thread Starter

Thanks for the great information.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice