1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Middle of the line PC not going to build it. Advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StumpedTechy, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

Okay I need to buy a middle of the line PC for a family member - I don't like building these myself cause I like to be able to just have them call the mfgr.

You think this is a good choice?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883107030

I don't see anything glaringly wrong it has a PCIe 16 if they decide later they want to go a little higher end with graphics I want to be able to add it... Only going single core processor because this won't be a multitasking/rendering computer. (I don't think they know the meaning of the term multiple open applications)

I am not familiar with Media center though... Any thoughts on this OS? I mya just buy a license of XP pro and toss it on since they won't be using all that OEM propritary bloat software anyways as I have them hooked on OpenOffice.

Budget is around 600$ for the system. I am not stuck on HP but am against Dells and Gateways and E-Machines just from past experiences.

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

I really have no usable advice, because the only over-the-counter machines that I ever have had were either Gateway or HP, and I would never have either again.

3. StumpedTechy

I use/support HP regularly at work and have no qualms with them. I don't want this to turn into a bashing thread just a "nah don't get this because of X spec or Y spec" or "this one is really good I just got it and X or Y spec is better than what you linked."

4. StumpedTechy

Shameless bump - comeon guys I know you have opinions :p

5. Jones

Jones

Seems okay to me. For the intended purpose, it should be more than enough.

:)

6. imidiot

imidiot

stay away from compaq. had one that spent more time at the shop then on my desk. have emachine going on 5 years now. no problems at all. just email, searching, reading news. not into heavy gaming. still doing fine.

7. accat13

accat13

The ati intergraded graphics are pretty good. I'm on my second board with them and they haven't failed me yet.(my p5rd1-v is being RMA'd not graphics related)I don't think the average user will need to update the graphics for a long time....

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice