1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

midi files on media player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by t0by41, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. t0by41

t0by41 Thread Starter

My Media Player 10 won't play midi files. It indicates they are playing, but there's no sound.
    I can play wma, wav and mp3 OK, and the midi has been checked in file types. I know nothing about my sound card. Can you help ? I'm running XP.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi t0by41, and welcome to TSG.

You need to open the Advanced Volume or Mixer Control panel in Windows task bar and see if any control with the word "Synthesizer" or "Synth" is turned down or muted. Exact control panel name, task bar icon and control name may vary between the software used with a given sound controller.

Midi files usually need a software synthesizer to play through speakers connected the computer and that synthesizer output is treated as a separate input to the sound controller.

3. t0by41

t0by41 Thread Starter

There is no Volume Control or similar icon on my task bar, although it has been checked in audio control. I also get the message sndvol32.exe is missing. I can't locate it anywhere.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  5. t0by41

t0by41 Thread Starter

I found the synth. setting in audio control (I'm using AC97 Realtek), but it is set to maximum, not muted. I also located sndvol32.
    Anywhere else I can go ?
    I appreciate the time you spend helping.:)

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If SndVol32.exe is in the correct sub-directory as mentioned in the old thread and the Synth setting is on at full volume, then I am sorry to say I am out of ideas as to what else could be wrong. :eek:

7. t0by41

t0by41 Thread Starter

Thanks anyway.

8. t bone

t bone

do you still get the message "sndvol32.exe is missing"

try playing the midi files with that accursed "quicktime player" just to see if the midi's are ok.

or has the prob. has been solved?

9. t0by41

t0by41 Thread Starter

I seem to have sndvol32 in C:\system32, although I can't verify that in Explorer. I can't display system folder at all. Various midi files play in Quicktime, so I assume it's not the files. I uninstalled AC97 Realtek, and re-installed it, and "normal" audio files play in Media Player. All file types have been "checked" to default to Media Player.

10. t bone

t bone

hi
    do a search for "gm.dls"
    it should be in the C\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

you say you can't "verify the sndvol32. with explorer" that sounds like you've got some other issues there if you can't navigate to the
    c\windows\system32 folder
    (you may want to think about a reinstall of xp if sorts of other things are screwed up as well)

were you ever able to play midi in wmp, did this start happening after an update or installation of some software?

11. t0by41

t0by41 Thread Starter

I searched for that file, but got the message that c:\windows\system32\drivers is not a valid folder. I agree I seem to have other problems, and may have to re-install, but my O System came pre-installed.
    Yes, I used to be able to run midi files in wmp.

12. t bone

t bone

see if you can do a system restore to before the problem.

if the search function can't find the "c:\windows\system32\drivers" folder then you do have some other things messed up.

i would start making backups of your important info in prep. for an os reinstall.

other than that i don't know how much i can help....these things usually turn into "a dog chasing his tail" situation and the easiest remedy is usually a os reinstall.

13. t0by41

t0by41 Thread Starter

Sorry, I have located the windows\system32 folder, containing sndvol32, so that's all right.
    Quicktime will play midi. Wmp and winamp won't. Hope that clarifies things.

14. t bone

t bone

ok...so in c\windows\system32\drivers is there a file called "gm.dls"

either do "start>search" for it or navigate there and look for it.

15. t0by41

t0by41 Thread Starter

No, I can't find "gm.dls". From what I've read, it should be in c:\windows\system32\drivers. Trouble is, all I have in c:\windows\system32 is sndvol32.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice