midi says it works but no sound

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mary Sue

I was able to get my midi to play through my sound card and speakers yesterday. The only change I made was to add two more external midi instrument spaces under the sound card in the multimedia properties midi page. I went to take them back off and now I don't know how to do that. Help, please.

(I added these because I am going to add another keyboard and an M1 but, since the computer can't find them and isn't interested in making sounds with these two new parts there, I want to remove them. What do I need to do?):confused:

I'm not sure how you did that. You added spaces?

You may be able to fix it by restoring the registry from a date previous to when you made these changes.

Boot and hold the CTRL button down until you see the boot menu. Choose Command prompt only.
At the prompt type

scanreg /restore and press enter

Choose a reg from before this happened.

Any other changes, installs or uninstalls since this reg was in effect will be lost.

To get your midi's to play back properly go to Control Panel>Multimedia>MIDI and under Single Instrument select the Sythesizer.

Mary Sue

:D Thanks so much. Putting the single instrument back to synth did the trick.

New question: I am trying to hook up a Roland S-50, a Korg Concert 7100, a Korg Symphony and an M1 all in series to my computer for some creative work on a project. The computer recognizes the S-50 and the 7100 but when I put either of the other two pieces in the series I get no sound at all.

Is there a prefered method of hooking this stuff up where it will all come through?

I had thought it might be a problem with channels but haven't figured it out yet.

The M1 is a rack version and so is separate from the 7100. To get sound at present, the M1 has to be hooked to the 7100 via midi cables but also has to have the audio put through an old tape deck and the tape deck has to have a tape in place and recording (I keep it on pause unless I really want to record something. I know this is not good for the tape deck, but this is the only way I've gotten it to work so far.)

Any suggestions on why this might be the only way to get the sound of the M1 out?

Any thoughts as to why the series works with the S-50 and 7100 but not when I add in the other parts?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online