1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Might a different video card solve my mpg & avi play problems?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have some little, short MPGs and AVIs that are sent to me by e-mail and some I made myself that I like to play from time to time. Problem is that sometimes they play fine and sometimes the same ones will freeze the video at some point but continue the sound. Sometimes I can restart the computer and it will play the video fine; but, at some point, the freezing will recurr and continue until I restart the machine.

The video cards I have are older ones that support DirectX 7 or lower. My question is whether anyone thinks a video card that supports a later version of DirectX (maybe 9) might have any effect on the problem.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Most likely a card will improve the situation. DX7 is OLD man. Try windows media player classic and see what happens.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have an older version of Windows media player. I'm not sure if it's 6 or 7; but, it plays everything just fine. I don't like it because I can't select several videos at a time and play them all in a continuous stream.

I'm ordering another video card next week that supports DX9. Problem is I was hoping to find one that doesn't need a fan. I've seen so many really good video cards die when the fan quits--and they quit without warning.

I found only one DX9 card so far that doesn't have a fan; but, it seems to need one because several of the users who came back to post reviews said it was hot enough to tattoo a finger if you touched it. One also said his performance would drop when it got hot. Adding a fan solved his problem.

Looks like it'll be one with a fan. Oh, and it's gotta' be PCI, not express, just PCI.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Alex, the PCI makes it tough. I have no idea what they are putting out PCI wise as I haven't looked there in years.

I think the last time I looked it was an Nvidia FX-5500. Good grief man.....I wish you the best. Yes a DX-9 card will help you out but PCI=OUCH. :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice