1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Might be a stuipid RAM question.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Helix82, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helix82

Helix82 Thread Starter

When upgrading or installing RAM...if you install different size modules that don't match. Does this make the RAM run slower then it would if you installed it in matching sizes.

For example, I currently have 256 mb's. If I added 512 meg's or 1gig to this would the different sizes compromise anything? I've just heard it would but didn't believe it. Want to make sure.

Thanks (y)

2. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

I have never heard that. Using different size RAM sticks won't slow down your computer. The only way new RAM could slow down your computer would be if the new RAM is much slower than your old RAM (in mhz).

3. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

I think you are referring to "matched pairs" of ram that come in a kit of 2 sticks. These are for ddr2 ram so they can run in dual channel mode which gives a performance increase over single channel.
    If you have a 256mb stick of ddr pc2100 and added a 512mb stick of pc2700, then the 2700 would likely default down to the lower speed 2100. If you removed the 2100, then the 2700 would likely run at the higher speed (depends on bios settings).
    If you have 1 stick of ddr2 pc4200 and added a kit of 2 x1gb pc6400, it would be wise to remove the pc4200 and add the 6400 in the correct slots in order for it to run in dual channel mode.

Does any of this make sense?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!