1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Migrate from Netware to Windows 2000?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by angel, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angel

angel Thread Starter

Curious if anyone here has ever completed a migration from Netware to Windows 2000. If so, do you have any pointers such as things that are commonly overlooked or that are likely to go wrong, etc.
    Customer is currently on Netware 3.12 and is debating either updating to Netware 5 or moving to Windows 2000 entirely. All details will probably affect their choice (time, money, etc).
    I think just updating Netware will win in in this situation but I promised I would provide them information for both.

I'm not looking for specific help on any problem, topic or anything - just wondering if anyone's every done it and how the experience was for you (would you do it again?, etc).

Thanks!

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

The most commonly overlooked error that I can think of is that Netware 3.12 is server centric due to its use of bindery and that if you forget to synchronize during the migration, you can miss importing user settings. If there is just one server, this is not a problem.

You will have to setup all the network printers again on the windows 2000 server.

Passwords will not be imported, but you can force the users to change thier password at the next logon.

Make sure that the server is using ntfs so that permissions will be imported. (I had this demonstrated in class when the instructor did not tell us to do this and some of us :eek: did not do it on our on)

All in all, it is not a bad migration.

3. angel

angel Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Brooks!
    I'm currently reading through Microsoft's Netware to Windows 2000 Server Migration Planning Guide - joy, joy.
    If I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask!

4. angel

angel Thread Starter

Ok, how about this...
    Anyone does an upgrade from Netware 3.12 to 5.1? If so, how long did it take for the actual upgrade process.
    Also, I can't seem to find a good guide to upgrading 3.12 to 5.1. I did find the 5.1 installation instructions on Novell's site and a very short bit about upgrading but is there anything else out there specific to upgrading 3.12 to 5.1?

5. Rikku

Rikku

If you're using Novell's Upgrade Wizard Version 3 or higher, it should do a good job of converting users to NDS and other tasks.

Search Novell's KB at support.novell.com for "Upgrade Wizard" or check out:

Upgrade Netware Server

It talks about Netware 3.... a little :)

With all Novell Upgrades and installs, a little research in the KB and forums beforehand will go a long way in saving you a lot of grief!!

6. angel

angel Thread Starter

7. Rikku

Rikku

You're right, using the upgrade wizard, you install a new 5.1 server then migrate your 3.x stuff to it - it migrates everything!

Its a clean way to upgrade.

That is, assuming you're not going to be still using the same hardware for the new server!!! (i hope not!! 5.1 requires quite a bit more resources)

8. angel

angel Thread Starter

Unfortunately, it's not for me and I don't think they have any plans to upgrade their hardware.
    I guess they may not have a choice though!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice