1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Migrate Role

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by h.yousaf1993, Jan 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. h.yousaf1993

h.yousaf1993 Thread Starter

Hi! I'm having issues picking up my current server, which is running windows server 2012 R2 on my new server.

The new server had fresh copy of windows server 2008 R2 installed and was then upgraded to windows server 2012 R2,this was done for learning purpose as I'm a student. Now, I'm trying to migrate the roles etc onto the new server from my old windows server 2012 R2, but having a issue picking up the old server on the new server, they are connected to the same router.

Any help would be great and thanks in advance.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Is this a domain and is the new server a member of this domain? What roles are you trying to transfer to the new server??

3. h.yousaf1993

Thanks the reply!! I have a single server running successfully at home, I think I need help adding the new server to the domain and once added it will solve my issues, what is the best way to add the new server to the current domain? Does this require DNS settings?

Thanks again..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  4. h.yousaf1993

Thanks in advanced.

I'm a student that wants to increase my knowledge in servers and networks, I have set-up one server successfully and have brought another server running windows server 2012 R2, What is the best way to add the server to the current domain, do I need DNS settings, or can the server be connected through the internet router. Any support or advised will be great!

Thanks

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, you just need to join it to the domain. If you have your domain and network setup correctly you should not need to alter any DNS settings.

6. h.yousaf1993

Thanks for the reply, I'm not able to pick up the existing domain when setting up the domain on the new server. It says cannot be found, do both server have to be connected to the switch, or can be done through a internet router?I'm following this link:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro...ller-to-an-existing-windows-2003-network.aspx and getting stuck on picture nine when clicking change, it says domain cannot be found.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Router is fine as long as they are on the same VLAN. Can you ping each server by IP address, can you ping them by name? Is the first server the active domain controller and doing DNS? Is it also doing DHCP? Or is the router doing DHCP? What router do you have?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've merged your two threads, please do not start more than one thread for the same issue.

9. h.yousaf1993

We can ping both servers using cmd, the first server running windows server 2012 R2 is running the active domain controller, the DHCP is run by the server. The router is d-link, it is a normal internet router, is there any way we can run cmd and test the network is working ?? Thanks.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ping them by IP or by name? You need to test both.

Is DHCP disabled on the router?

Please post an IPCONFIG /ALL result from each server.

ipconfig /all | clip will send the results to the clipboard, paste those into a text document or paste them directly into your post.

Do the same with nslookup | clip

11. h.yousaf1993

I have attached a document with all the confirmations on both servers, I hope this helps..

Attached Files:

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It seems your router is your DHCP server, I'd move that over to the server, that should fix some of your issues as then you can specify that the server is also the DNS server instead of the router. You also need to assign Server-one a static IP address outside of the DHCP range. You don't want it's IP address changing.

Your IPCONFIG results are the same for both servers, you seem to have posted the server-one results twice.

13. h.yousaf1993

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late reply.

You recommend moving DHCP onto the server, is this straight-forward ? I was getting the same confirmation on both server when running ipconfig. Both server have the same name, do I need to change the name of new server. You have been great help, thanks again.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can't have the same name or the same IP address on two computers/servers. That's your biggest mistake right there. Each computer name and IP on a network must be unique.

Internal domain name resolution works better when DNS is handled by the AD server. Home routers are simply best not used at all in server environments. It isn't hard to setup DHCP, see here: http://www.howtogeek.com/99723/how-to-set-up-dhcp-in-server-2008-r2/
    Gateway would still be the router IP and DNS would be the server's IP.

Have you in fact configured DNS on Server-one? Forward and Reverse lookup zones. Did you also configure Forwarders for outside DNS resolution?

After you setup DHCP on the server you will need to disable DHCP in the router and then release and renew IP addresses for all clients in the network. Your server server should have a static IP address. Your second server should also eventually have a static IP address but that can be left until it successfully joins the domain without one; it'll be a good test.

15. h.yousaf1993

Thank you for your support! You have been great help, I will reply once I have put your advise into action.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1164339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice