1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Migrate XP Domain user to Workgroup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mproberts, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mproberts

mproberts Thread Starter

Hello all - I have a full AD domain set up at home and have been using the client/domain model for a couple of years now. Each of my 4 client PC's is part of the domain along with the 2 user accounts we use here. In the interest of simplifying my home computing "infrastructure", I want to get rid of the servers and go back to a simple approach with my 4 clients, a firewall/switch and the cable modem.

Is there a migration utility that will allow me to take my users' desktop settings/profile from the domain back to just a local workgroup? Do I remove the PC's from the domain, then migrate desktop settings?

Thanks!
    M

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You can create and then log in with the new local user account, log off, log in with another admin account. Then copy the domain user's home directory to the new local user's home directory.

3. mproberts

mproberts Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Do I need to remove the PC from the domain first?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes. But first you need to make sure you have a local user account with admin rights you can log in with after you change to a workgroup. And also, identify where the domain users' home directories are located.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/499240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice