Migrating Earthlink Email to Outlook

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tinseltownjd

I need help to migrate my Earthlink email from Earthlink's proprietary Earthlink mailbox program to Outlook.

If that is not possible, then, at a minimum, I need to save all of my Earthlink messages in ".eml" or ".msg" format.

That's the problem. Here are solutions that I've already explored and which do NOT work.

1) Export email messages (from within Earthlink mailbox program) as a csv file. This does not work because it drops out all html formatting and removes atatchments and leaves you with only plaint text.

2) Export email messages to dat file. This does not work because it is some kind of proprietary format that cannot be opened up to view individual emails with html formatting and attachments.

3) Use Access to read Earthlink's mailbox mdb file. This does not work because it is some kind of proprietary format that cannot be opened up to view individual emails with html formatting and attachments.

4) Using "save as" function to save individual emails in .eml format. This does not work because Earthlink's program (shockingly) only allows you to save one message AT A TIME in .eml format. Of course, it is not practical to have to sit at the computer for several days to individually save thousands of emails.

Please please help me get these old earthlink emails into some format (.msg or .eml) that is recognizable and searchable by other widely used email programs who aren't purposely engineered to hold your email hostage so you don't change service providers. (I know there are a couple of conversion programs like this for AOL users who want to escape, but nothing I've seen so far similar for Earthlink users.)

Also, if you think there's another site where I should post this request which may have a better chance of getting advice, let me know. (This is my first post here.)

Thanks!!!

I am having exactly the same problem. When I flattened and reinstalled our XP2000 Pro OS I made the mistake of updating our EarthLink account along with everything else. It made the EarthLink Mailbox our default.

I have changed the email options to make Outlook the default. However, all of our email still comes to the EarthLink mailbox. In addition, we can neither send nor receive emails into Outlook.

Another problem, EarthLink's mailbox seems to like to our Address Book, as it periodically eats it. It will send a note saying the Address Book is fragmented, request that we defrag, then freeze during the defrag process and dump the files into Neverland.

I would very much appreciate a way to begin receiving emails in Outlook, plus a means of migrating existing emails from EarthLink to Outlook.

Secondarily, if anyone knows the answer to the Address Book puzzle, that will also be much appreciated!

BTW, this is my first post -- your forum looks very informative thus far!

LauraMJ

Administrator
I'm not sure how to migrate emails from Earthlink to another program, since I have only used the Earthlink email program once for a short time, quite a long time ago, so I can't help with that part of the question. I didn't care for it, so I have used, at some point, Outlook, Outlook Express, and Incredimail for my emails. For any of them, I simply went to the earthlink tool bar, and clicked on the "email" tab, then chose "email options," and then entered my desired program as the default email.

It seems to me that I remember finding out that it is possible to simply uninstall the Earthlink mailbox, too. It's not intregal to using Earthlink's software.

I've also just opened up the desired program and when it informs me that it is not the default program and do I want to make it the default program, I click on "yes."

Both of those ways worked for me.

It sounds as if there are some settings in Outlook that are not quite right. Also, you might want to go to your Add/Remove Programs list and choose "set program access and defaults" and set your desired email program in there, too.

Laura,

Thanks for the tips. I will try that this evening and see what happens.

I am a horse enthusiast as well, though it has been a few years since I have been able to keep them. One of the neatest feelings in the world is just "bopping along" on a horse friend, with both of you enjoying the day! :)

LauraMJ

Administrator
Greatoutdoor said:
Laura,
I am a horse enthusiast as well, though it has been a few years since I have been able to keep them. One of the neatest feelings in the world is just "bopping along" on a horse friend, with both of you enjoying the day! :)
Yes, it is. Luckily we live in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia surrounded on three sides by National Forest, so my friends and I do a lot of "bopping along" for hours on end! :D

Come visit my website, and get your horsey fix!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online