1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Migrating from SBS 2003

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by paulr24, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulr24

paulr24 Thread Starter

At work we recently had a hard drive fail on a RAID1 configuration on an SBS 2003 server. We got a replacement HDD from Dell and popped it in, but it failed to rebuild due to the original HDD having some bad blocks. It went into predictive failure, and the Dell tech that I spoke with told me that we would need to rebuild from scratch. He said we can't just restore a backup to a new HDD because the new HDD would likely go into predictive fail as well.

I was thinking that we could potentially upgrade to new hardware and SBS 2011 and migrate everything over, but my boss didn't want to spring for a new server right now. What I'm wondering now is what would be the easiest way to perform this rebuild and get all settings, etc that are currently on this server back afterward? Or would it be simplest method be to migrate to a virtual machine, put SBS 2011 on the same hardware SBS 2003 was originally on, and migrate from the virtual machine to SBS 2011?

Thanks in advance!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Why would the old data not repopulate a new driver? If the new drive is clean and free from defects restoring the data to it would not be an issue. Was this a software or hardware RAID 1 you had set up?

3. paulr24

paulr24 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response Rockn! It is hardware RAID1. Here is how it was all explained to me by a Dell tech, if that helps:

"Well that's why it failed the rebuild, it's in predictive failure."
    "We have a double fault here."
    "See how it keeps reporting issues on pd 0:0;1?"
    "That means it's trying to copy bad blocks to the mirror drive, which caused enough bad block flags to cause the drive to go predictive failure."
    "Let me see what I can dig up, see if there's any way to recover besides rebuilding from scratch."
    "Well a bit of bad news."
    "I can replace that pred fail drive, no big issue."
    "The problem here lies in the fact that you won't be able to rebuild this raid 1, as it will cause even the new drive to go pred fail/fail the rebuild."
    "Which means all I can recommend per dell policy is a full from the ground up rebuild. Can't even use your backup as it will cause another logical issue, another double fault."

Me: "So we would need to set this server back up again from scratch?"

"Pretty much."
    "Not a fan of having to say it, but if you try to restore from backup you hose two good drives."
    "It has a very high chance of recreating the double fault and we're right back here except you'll be out of warranty by then."

Me: "Is trying to recover the bad blocks an option? (I understand that it may not be one that you recommend per Dell policy)."

"No, checkdisk won't fix the logical issue. See bad blocks are primarly a harware issue, but the next step up is logical, a.k.a how the controller handles the data."
    "So it takes those "hardware" issues and decides it needs to quickly mirror them to the next drive, and in the process causes it to fail or go pred fail."
    "It's a controller thing, specifically a virtual disk thing."

4. Rockn

Rockn

Yea that is a tough one. Putting corrupt or possibly corrupt data back on a server would be a sticky situation. Do you have any archival type of data that was stored off site to mitigate some of the data loss?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice