1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Migrating from XP to Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LGSH, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LGSH

LGSH Thread Starter

:confused: I've decided its time for a new computer as my 5 year old pc is on borrowed time and I want to make sure I am able to migrate not just my existing data but my programs from XP to Vista (assuming I should even switch and not try for another XP system?).

What is the easiest, surest way - I've read about Laplink PCmover (mixed reviews) or some places say its as simple as buying a Vista Easy Transfer Cable and using the Vista software. In addition to Office programs I want to make sure I can migrate stuff like home network settings & shared printers, blackberry settings, and Norton Security which was such a pain to set up I don't want to have to do it again and chance screwing everything up. Any advice is greatly appreciated before I take the plunge!

Thanks, Lisa

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

You can transfer your user-created data; but, you cannot transfer programs. They will have to be reinstalled from the original installation CDs or other media provided they are Vista compliant. There are usually provisions for transferring mail. Usually you export it from the old system and then import into the new system. Those export/import selections are found within the program menus.

3. LGSH

LGSH Thread Starter

Thanks - so the claims Laplink PCmover makes about being able to transfer your entire PC including the programs are not true?

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It is supposed to. http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/

Personally I would not do it as I would use the opportunity to "clean" up my installation at the same time.

I tend to sit my old one and the new one side by side with a network connection and that allows me to view the old one and its settings and view one whilst installing the other.

Many settings can be copied if they are in ini files.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Any of the Acronis versions other than 11.0 Home will move an entire OS using an image file made and "Universal Restore" and make all the hardware changes necessary. Once again is that a good idea, well no because when you build a new pc, it is always best to start clean rather than carry forward old issues.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Dave and Rich are correct. Developers have been making those claims since the days of Windows 3.1. You see, they want your money.

I used to help out at a friend's shop across town when I was slack in those days. We tried all of those kinds of programs from Windows 3.1 through Windows 98B and there was always, always, always more time and anguish spent straightening out the problems that method introduced than there was in a new setup. And then there were the times those programs would crash a system altogether, necessitating a clean installation anyway.

With the advent of Windows NT/2000, on which foundation everything is now built, an OS could not be transferred in total to a new set of hardware. This complicated things even further; but, the developers still want your money so they will do their best to adapt the xfer program, rebox it and continue to make those claims.

Those programs may help you transfer your user-created data; but, that is something you can do on a CD, DVD or thumb drive.

By the way, if you find Vista arcane and frustrating, you'll have a lot of company. A few major brand computer mnanufacturers have actually come out publicly against that "upgrade", if you want to call it that. I'm still on 2000 on all four of my desktops and XP on both my laptops. Dell is recommending to networked business coustomers that they stick with XP and HP followed shortly after. The TCO (Total Cost of Ownership, not the initial cost) being higher is the reason they site, downtime, troubleshooting and such.

7. LGSH

LGSH Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to stick with XP. My 2 big concerns were transferring Office Small Business 2003 without reinstalling and not screwing up my home network which took a while to set up. Reinstalling wireless router, setting up print sharing, etc. took me quite a while since I'm not an expert. So in the meantime I have an external hard drive and downloaded the Acronis Home 11 trial version - should I back up entire PC for safekeeping or clone the hard drive?

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's up to you. I make an image file weekly and then eventually save 1 a month for space sake.

9. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Cloning the drive will not help.

Here's how it works (or rather doesn't):

With the advent of Windows NT/2000, an OS installed on one system cannot be run on different hardware. Install XP on a system and swap the main board to another brand or model and XP simply will not boot. It is essentially the same thing to clone the drive and install that drive into another system. You're swapping the hardware that installation of Windows was set up for.

It was possible under Windows 98 and down to do what you describe but, not on NT and up. But, even under Windows 98 and down, problems were frequently introduced that were solved only by formatting and starting over.

10. LGSH

LGSH Thread Starter

Thanks to you both - I'll just back up and reinstall on new computer.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice