1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Migrating NT4 Domain

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MDub2112, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MDub2112

MDub2112 Thread Starter

Hiya All !

Hope someone can help out here.
    I have been tasked with implementing W2k3 Active Directory at our company.

Current layout:
    Approx 500 users - 350+ here in the US and approx 100+ overseas.
    The two buildings in the US are connected via a T3 Wireless connection
    Overseas is connected to us via T1

It is now set as a NT4 Domain and all users are Win2K or XP
    DNS Servers are external (for now...changing that with the AD Setup)
    DHCP is a Win2K Server box.

Website is hosted internally. Email is Exchange 5.5 and is currently reaching capacity (hence the migration).

Now with the migration:
    1) Would it be best to go with the idea of having basically two domains?
    External being the company.com and the internal being something like company.local

2) Does anyone know of a good book that would cover how to go about all of this, or where to get some good documentation? (that would be so awesome if someone did)

I'm sure many of you have already been through this and any pointers would ohhhh soooo appreciated.

Thanks Ahead of Time

2. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Ether or is fine. I would create a forest and then a domain for each geographical location. I am assuming that the links to the other sites are point to point links? You should have no issues passing domain traffic over them.

3. MDub2112

MDub2112 Thread Starter

Yup, the sites are connected p2p

Domain structure something like:

Forest - company.com
    Tree - company.us
    Tree - company.eng

would be fine then.

How would I go about building this without creating conflicts with the existing 'company.com'?

4. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

I would do this...

Forest- company.corp
    Tree - company.us
    Tree - company.eng

That way your web services would conflict with your internal DNS.

5. jmwills

jmwills

Any Microsoft press book on Server 2003 with AD infrastructure should be helpful.

6. MDub2112

MDub2112 Thread Starter

Gee THANKS Memnoch322 :eek:

I'm just playin' know whatcha mean.
    I like that idea more. Forest company.corp

Now my next problem's gonna be the making sure users can access both sets of resources...those on the current NT Domain and the stuff I first get set in the company.corp W2K3 AD. I'm sure it's a simple matter of trusts and what not... Don't see why any of the books out there would not cover this, have to assume they would.

My thoughts on the migration are this
    Create the AD
    Add a 'few' users (those of us in IT)
    Make sure we can use both sets of resources
    Build new Exchange Servers (into the new AD)
    Migrate the current Exchange to the new
    Verify all works
    Work on migrating the rest of the shtuff into the new AD

Guess I'll need two books...LOL One for the NT to W2K3 AD Migration and one for Exchange.

THanks for the help all

7. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Create the new infastructure, and back it up. Then backup the Nt4 infastructure.

Now in your lab prop machines and use the backups to create a working model of your production infastructure. from there you can play with the migrations and make sure they work!

If you have a decent box laying around prop it with Fedora and load VMWare Server. Form here you can create virtual instances of OS's and test from one machine.

8. MDub2112

MDub2112 Thread Starter

Instead of creating a whole new thread, figured I'd just use this one again...

Anyway, have my new AD working, trust relationship between AD Domain and NT Domain all good.

Using ADMT v3 to migrate everything....Everything seems to work great except one little quirk that really has nothing to do with the operation of the server, network, or AD really. However, when I migrate users from the NT domain to the AD, of course the 'full name' field from NT goes in to the 'display name' field for AD...

When I have the Users OU highlighted, it shows the logon name as the Name instead of the Display Name.... Is there a quick fix, or am I gonna have to say..."ohhh OK, I'll deal with it"

When I create a new user, everything works fine

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice