Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Migration of Folders From WLM 2012 to Outlook 365

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
Because Microsoft is gradually forcing people off Windows Live Mail by not allowing it to work in the new Outlook email universe, I installed Microsoft’s Office 365 product on my wife’s computer and ran into a significant problem with Outlook: there does not appear to be a way to migrate personal email folders to the new Outlook.

Her version of WLM is 2012, and the email export function allows one to specify one of two output formats: Microsoft Exchange (.OST) or Windows Live Mail (.EML).

The Outlook 365/2016 email import function allows one to specify one of two input formats: .CSV or .PST.

Perhaps I’m missing something here, but it appears that the two Microsoft products are incompatible when it comes to migrating data from one to the other.

If my wife loses access to her 1000+ saved emails, she is going to be very unhappy. Right now, the only solution I see is for her to email the saved emails to herself and then save them into folders on the new Outlook client.

Thanks for your help.
Richard

See less See more
#2 ·
Because Microsoft is gradually forcing people off Windows Live Mail by not allowing it to work in the new Outlook email universe
it will still work , by using imap

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ive-mail-what-should-i-do-hotmail-msn-outlook

https://askleo.com/4-alternatives-windows-live-mail-outlook-com/

i have imported WLM folders and emails into outlook 2007 with no issue - setting up a PST file and having them available on the interface
OST is the data that outlook uses with AES / exchange and IMAP

have you tried output to a PST file and then setting up the new PST as a data file
Also export the contacts from WLM and USE all the fields and import to contacts on outlook

#3 ·
i have imported WLM folders and emails into outlook 2007 with no issue - setting up a PST file and having them available on the interface
OST is the data that outlook uses with AES / exchange and IMAP

have you tried output to a PST file and then setting up the new PST as a data file
I don't want to continue using WLM 2012; I want to use Outlook 365, and I've set up my wife's account to do that; the email part works fine. The only problem is that I'm unable to migrate her personal folders from WLM 2012 to Outlook 365.

Most of her folders have been imported into her Outlook 365 account, but all of the folders are empty.

Note that in WLM 2012, the email export function allows one to specify one of two output formats: Microsoft Exchange (.OST) or Windows Live Mail (.EML); .PST and .CSV are not available options.

Thanks for responding.

#4 ·
When Exporting from WLM to Outlook choose Microsoft Exchange, it will export the messages and folders to Outlook. Contacts will need to be done separately using a CSV file.

HOWEVER, what type of email account do you have setup in WLM? If it's IMAP or ActiveSync/Exchange then you do not need export the messages and folders, when you setup the email account in Outlook it will sync those folders download. You only need to export/import if you were using a POP account or if you had local storage folders setup outside of the email account folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.