1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

min and max vcache settings

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by RALPH_cc, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RALPH_cc

RALPH_cc Thread Starter

hi,

pls help me a program called x-setup has changed my vcache settings. what are the default win98 se settings for min and max vcache with 64 mb ram. pls help immediately.:mad:

2. ETS

ETS

If you're talking about virtual memory, the default set by Win98se is minimum=0 and no maximum along with allowing Windows to manage your swap file. If you must have a setting there then twice your system ram is a good starting point.
    If you are actually referring to VCACHE then no setting is required there. It is fully dynamic and adjusts itself according to the amount of ram you have and how much disk writing is done on your system.

3. RALPH_cc

RALPH_cc Thread Starter

Dear ETS,

This program x-setup changed my vcache settings :

Vcache

min filecache = 2048

max filecache = 16384

chunk size = 512.

i have uninstalled this program which caused all sort of problems, but now i would like to know how to go back to the default win98 settings.

4. columbo

columbo

Hi Ralph,

The default settings for Windows 98 SE are (as ETS stated), blank. Just delete the Min, Max, and Chunk lines from your system.ini under the [vcache] line.
    If you're uncomfortable deleting them, then just place a semi-colon in front of each line. This will prevent them from loading at startup.

Good Luck,

:)

5. RALPH_cc

RALPH_cc Thread Starter

this program x-setup also changed these settings under system ini now i dont whether these settings prevailed before or not. do i delete this too?

MaxBPs= 16384
    MinTimeSlice= 20
    WindowUpdateTime= 50
    PageBuffers= 4

how do i go back to the default values and what are the default values for win 98 se.

6. columbo

columbo

Hi Ralph,

Attached is a copy of my system.ini.

I'm currently running Windows 98 SE, and this is as close to default Win98 as anything else. With the exception of screensaver, password lists, etc. everything is the Windows default.
    Is this "x-setup" program you installed the only application you've installed that has altered your system.ini?

Obviously, this is only for reference, and shouldn't be applied to your system.

Hope this helps,

Columbo :)

Attached Files:

7. columbo

columbo

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice