1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mini pci card question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by goldenrat, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goldenrat

goldenrat Thread Starter

I have a sprint boradband usb card but inside is a mini pci card.

there have been people who have been able to install this card into their laptops.

i tried and it has failed.

so here is what i did.

1. i opened the u720 usb modem
    2. took out the mini card
    3. opened the mini pci bay on my laptop
    4. took out the wifi card
    5. installed my sprint card and hooked up the factory antenna (yeas i know, different frequencies, but i'm told that just lowers the signal a bit)
    6. tried to boot. power light came on and fan and such for a bout 5 seconds and unit turned off. tried several times and it did not boot.
    7. put wifi card back in and unit booted fine.

so, i believe that the problem is that the bios did not recognize the device which is why it would not boot? i have all of the current drivers and firmware installed.

is there some thing i need to do to tell the bios to accept my sprint card? something i need to do somewhere else?

any help would be great!

gateway mt6728
    vista premium

2. O111111O

O111111O

1] Not all miniPCI cards are created equal. Are you absolutely sure this is the same format?
    2] Some manufacturers [HP] lock out non authorized vendor's wireless.

3. goldenrat

goldenrat Thread Starter

how would i know what format the card is? they look the same. they install the same. they smell the same. i also heard about another guy with an hp who had the same lockout probelm and i'm assuming that this is the same issue. i will chat up gateway and see if they can help me

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I tried this trick, and my HP and Toshiba laptops refuse to boot with a non-approved wireless card installed. I still have a nice Dell 802.11n wireless micro-PCI card that I can't use. :(

5. goldenrat

goldenrat Thread Starter

i uninstalled the wifi drivers, disabled the wifi in the bios and still no go. so, i'm giving up. i was thinking maybe taking to a computer shop but they problably won't be able to do anything. i know they sell verizon but i'm sure the pci slot is locked. will probably buy a pc express card next month when my contract renews

6. JohnWill

The common approach is to only recognize a fixed set if PCI ID's for the wireless card. They claim it's for FCC compliance, but IMO that's pure BS, it's just because they can force you to stick with what you have. They'd much rather have you buy a new laptop for an upgrade. :rolleyes:

7. goldenrat

goldenrat Thread Starter

if i bought a dell inspiron, which is supposed to have 3 mini pci slots, should one of them be wwan ready? sprint broadband is an option for purchase, but i'm not spending 150 to buy a card i already have. i've tried to call dell and nobody can tell me cause sales people don't know that kind of info. if wwan is option, do they automactically prewire the bay for wwan or only if you add that option?

8. JohnWill

I can't say how a Dell comes if you don't already have wireless installed when you get it. Unless someone has actually gotten one of these without wireless installed, it's going to be pretty difficult to be sure what you'll get. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice