1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

minidisc player won't run on my computer

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by sadeemari, Jul 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sadeemari

sadeemari Thread Starter

My computer recognizes the minidisc player and downloads a driver for it, but the minidisc player will not work. I have plugged it into my USB port, but nothing happens. It is a Sony and in the handbook Sony says that I need to contact my computer manufacturer for a USB audio upgrade.

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

I have no experience with it, but you say that the computer recognizes the player but nothing happens. How is it recognized? Does the player play the disk at all? Can you plug in your earphones and also the usb at the same time and if so, hear music. Have you check the various Volume Control Propetrties to make sure that the one for hte player is not turned down or muted? Post back with more details if possible.

3. sadeemari

sadeemari Thread Starter

When I plug in my minidisc player into my USB port, the computer starts to install drivers to make it work. Then when I go into any media or audio player the computer doesn't give me the option of using the minidisc player. I even went into the control panel and selected the minidisc as my preferred playing device, it does not give me minidisc as an option for preferred recording device.
    I have tried to just record from the computer, by just pressing record on the minidisc, but it doesn't record. i guess i am looking for a downloadable program to use with my minidisc player, maybe that is made for that type of equipment. I can plug in my earphones and USB, but I get no sound. I have checked the volume, it is at the highest and it works for non computer applications.
    post back if you still need more information. thank you.

4. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

sadeemari-as i mentioned, i dont know about it, but am willing to do some research on the subject for you. I will need more details however. USB needs Win98 or later to work correctly. Which OS are you using? What is the Sony MiniDisk make and model? Does the drivers (provided by Sony?) install or not as you said it "starts to install drivers" but you dont say if does so correctly. If you go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Device Manager tab, does it list the mini disk as a device by itself like it would a cd-rom or floppy drive? Is it listed under Sound, Game Controlers etc.. line? Do you have any other usb device connected so that we know that the usb port is working. I will not know until i look up info on the specific unit, but with my Hewlett Packard USB Scanner, i was required to install the software first, reboot and then plug in the scanner. Doing it the other way around would not work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!