1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Minimum Printable Margins

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Ksiaze, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ksiaze

Ksiaze Thread Starter

I have laserjet HP 6P. As I know most printers have a "minimum printable margins". I found: my printer prints with all 4.3 mm (0.167 in.) margins. Do you know any way to reduced this area to "0"... Sometimes I need print 1:1, than I must reduced my print to printable area. :mad:

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    To find absolute minimal margins for your printer:
    File-->Page Setup-->Margins tab.
    Set all margins to zero and hit OK.
    When asked, choose FIX.
    Then check margin settings.
    Unless you have the wrong printer driver installed, you CANNOT print any closer than that to the edge of a page because your printer requires a certain amount of the edge of the paper to pull the paper through the printer. Really expensive and huge printers actually use friction to pull paper through the printer and can sometimes have zero margins. I used an HP6 extensively, and I know that you cannot have zero margins.

3. Ksiaze

Ksiaze Thread Starter

You wrote: "Really expensive and huge printers actually use friction to pull paper through the printer and can sometimes have zero margins."
    Right. That's what I think, some expensive printers can print without margins. I don't remember model, but when I was working in a big company, we got a printers like this. Unfortunatelly HP 6P is not huge and expensive ;)
    Thank you for help and suggestion.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Yeah...the ones we used were color printer/copiers. We had a Canon something, which was like a $25,000 machine, and then we had a Xerox I think. And it was a quarter-million dollar machine. That one allowed zero margins.

One always needs to be careful too when creating files to make sure they have reasonable minimum margins--particularly if the file might be sent to and printed from some other printer/location.

Do you have some sort of graphic or something? Or were you hoping to have the ink "bleed" to the edge of the page?

5. Ksiaze

Ksiaze Thread Starter

"Do you have some sort of graphic or something? Or were you hoping to have the ink "bleed" to the edge of the page?"

Well, not exactly.
    Most jobs I finished on my HP 6P. Usually simple projects. Many people have no idea printer can "cut" edge and I am tired to explain each other ;)
    Have no choice for my pocket. :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice