1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Minor curiosity after Raid-ing my hard drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Markie0425, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Markie0425

Markie0425 Thread Starter

Hi guys, so this is my first time Raid 0-ing my hard drive, i'm not sure if i did it right.
    So i got two 300gb velociraptor hooked in my board, boot up my pc, went to bios and enabled the Raid.
    On the raid bios window, i create a new volume, choose 2 hard drive (both velociraptor), auto deleted my files and save then restarted. After restarting, it went straight to Windows 7 installation, and after that is done, my Drive C is now almost to 600gb. So in my drive list, i have Drive C and D... but i was just wondering, what is that Local Disk Q: below my Drive D?? Also id checked my windows assessment score, everything is around 7.5 to 7.8 except my Primary hard disk score is 6.3?

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

In revers order.. 6.3 is a fair score. WEI is a waste of time as a rule, and dont bother with it. It needs an SSD to get a higher score, and these are still expensive.

As for the rest, I dont understand. If you have 2 drives in a raid config, you should have a drive c and thats it. I assume that drive D is your CD drive? #as for Q, it may be a USB device, or anything that is plugged in- memory card, etc.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just some thoughts;
    1 Raid for the home user is a mistake
    2 If you really really must have raid, then use a real raid card. Onboard raid is useless. Just think about it for a min or two. A quality raid controller by itself is going to cost as much or more than a high end mb. What kind of performance do you think you are going to get from onboard raid???
    3 If you run raid, you must have a backup plan; third drive not part of the array, NAS, external, network share, etc. You do understand that if one drive has a problem, you loose everything on the array.

Some versions of win7 make a small partition on the system drive as a system reserved area. This may be what you are seeing. Post a screenshot of disk management

FWIW I use an old first generation raptor and score 6.1 on the windows index. You are not getting a whole lot more out of two modern raptors in raid0 and you double the risk of data loss.

Attached Files:

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are doing the raid for a learning experience, then it is fine. IMO raid is for a server that needs the hot swap capability; not for the home user.

Onboard raid controllers differ quite a bit in quality with intel being about the best of the bunch and jmicron or via being at the bottom. Others ie nvidia, amd/ati coming in somewhere in between. Even the intel onboard controller falls behind a quality raid controller like a promise or highpoint card.

5. Markie0425

Hey guys, thanks for the reply!

I don't really care much about the hard disk sub score, i'd just thought that Raid 0 boost performances including the hard disk, it just made me wonder after seeing everything on my subscore is 7.8 then boom! low score on primary disk, but i guess it's pretty decent score according to you guys.

And yes, i am just doing raid for learning experience, i'm not really gonna go for real raid cards, i'd just wanna see the difference after Raiding my disk and no worries, i am aware of loosing everything when one either of the disk fails but i'm still curious what is that Drive Q in my explorer, it is not my CD Drive because i have it on Drive E:, i got my Drive D: for my music and games and Drive C: for installing important softwares.
    Also here's a screenshot of my explorer and disk management.

[​IMG]

Thanks again! :)

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your screen shot is really small. Also you can upload directly on this site rather then using another site.

By in any case you need to scroll down in Disk Management to Drive Q so we can see that.

Its could be a media slot in a printer or camera or a USB stick/drive. If you unplug all your USB device does it go away?

7. Markie0425

Sorry about the screenshot, I have scrolled all the way down, there is a Removable disk from F: to I: Drive and after that is CD-ROM/DVD E: and that is the last of it. There is no drive J: to Q:?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I cannot read the screenshot either. Have you ever plugged in a camera, camcorder, etc? That may be the "q" drive.

As you can see there is very little benefit using raid0 over a single disk. [And I think the small difference may be that you are using a new velociraptor and I use an old 1st gen raptor]

You would see somewhat better performance using a quality raid card however it is NOT worth the $150+ for a card.

9. Markie0425

Well i have a intensity pro black magic design for my ps3, its been hooked before i raided my drive. Hmm.. i don't know what's that drive anymore, maybe i'll just ignore it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice