Minor problem with Win2K icons

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DMC2

They appear like they're displayed with 256 colours or something. Current Display settings are:

True Color (32 bit)
800x600 res.

Also under 'Effects' in the Display Properties:

'Show icons using all possible colors' is ENABLED

Tried deleting IconCache file in Windows directory and I've also tried re-installing the video driver over the current one.

Any ideas? Thanks for you time.

----------------

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I've tried that. It's set to True Color (32 bit).

...and yes. I recently installed the ATI AiW Radeon. I didn't have the problem for wile but something must have happened. Not sure when though.

Monitor driver...never ever had to download one fo those. Just used the generic ones ...so I'll try that now.

Edit: no good.

I'm guessing it's something to with my display drivers. Should I remove tem first then re-install them?

edit again: removed and reinstalled ATI display driver to no avail.

Any ideas?

Tushman

Banned
DMC, i don't know if you have already tried this or not.

Go to your Control Panel, click on Display. Then click on the Settings Tab. You should see a drop down menu option that says 32-Bit or similar. Select that and see if your problem goes away.

Also, try to update your monitor driver.

Did this problem occur after you upgraded a hardware or software?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You could cruise over to Microsoft and download TweakUI, try the "Repair Icons" entry. You can also check here ActiveIcons, it claims to clear the icon cache and rebuild the icons.

DMC2

hi, thanks for the reply

How do I install this Tweak UI? MS say that there's a Readme file but there isn't so now I don't know how to install it.

I got it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp

I've extracted the files:

tweakui.cnt
tweakui.cpl
tweakui.hlp
tweakui.inf
tweakui.GID (hidden file)

-----
Active icon's quite nify. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem.

DMC2

Hi

errr...I fixed it by restoring from a Ghost image...it was just too annoying seeing the icons like that. :p

Thanks for the replies though. I have a feeling Tweak UI wouldn't have done anything but I'll play about with it. Least I learnt of the other icon tool :)

I'm facing this problem too. I'm using the latest display card driver, using Win 2k server, and I have tried tweak ui, but the icons still showing dull color. Below is my desktop icons.

By the way, what is ghost image? How to restore?

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online