1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Miscrosoft Service Pack 2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FF_Maniac, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FF_Maniac

FF_Maniac Thread Starter

Okay, I'm wonerding if i should install this. Right before I click install it gives me a warning to back-up the system. Do I really have to backup my system and should I?

2. XxMattxX

XxMattxX

Back up is always a good idea anyway. But you'll be able to do the switch-over without it. If you're not sure, back up first on disk. Do the update without backing anything up... this way you have everything at least.

3. FF_Maniac

FF_Maniac Thread Starter

Okay, exactly how do I backup my computer?

4. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

You should get third party software to do this. I have used a lot of different ones and the one I like the best is by a company called Acronis, and the product is called TrueImage 8.0. You can find it by clicking HERE. You can even download a trial version ;)

5. XxMattxX

XxMattxX

Do you have burner?

6. FF_Maniac

FF_Maniac Thread Starter

Yes I do have a burner

7. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

...which brings up another good point. TrueImage will give you the option to compress and save everything on your hard drive, as long as it's not saved on the C: partition. However backing up on a CD or DVD is always best if you can ;)

8. FF_Maniac

FF_Maniac Thread Starter

Yeah, I kind of want to back it up on a cd...how many cd would it take =\

9. XxMattxX

XxMattxX

Wet Chicken's response was precise on the back up of your entire system. I guess if the question is: To back up your entire pc or just the files you need? You can always reinstall XP from the disk if it crashes. Save all your needed files on DVD, CD or external HD. Do the update, see what happens. Probably nothing if all goes well. If you're concerned with cloning your entire system then go with Acronis.

10. XxMattxX

XxMattxX

Depends on how much you want to back up. If it's a CDR, then it might take 1-10... who knows??

11. FF_Maniac

FF_Maniac Thread Starter

Ok, i'll ues the program

12. Sequal7

Sequal7

Depends on your partition size.

Most backup programs will let you know how many disks approximately it will take to perform as they prepare the backup.
    A fair rule is 2:1 compression, You should have around 5-10 disks though depending again on what and the size.

13. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Actually Acronis TrueImage will back up as much, or as little, as you want. You can even update it file by file if you want. I don't think you'll have any problems with service pack two, but it's always a good and a safe idea, to get into the habit of backing up your data for that rainy day (which WILL eventually hit you) ;)

14. Sephroth57

Sephroth57

SP2 is just asking for trouble.... read the threads around here about it. also my friend is a system admin he has banned anyone from installing SP2 on his company network cause it causes so many problems

15. FF_Maniac

FF_Maniac Thread Starter

Alright, what are the common problems of installing the service pack2? I just backed up my system and installed it and everything seems to be working fine. What are some usualy symptoms of something going wrong?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice