misleading cpu temp readings

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DJ-Specter

Hi, i'm running vista home premium 64 with 4gb ram and a 2.4ghz intel quad core which i've overclocked to 3ghz. my normal cpu temps range from 15c (idle) to about 35-40c under full load. i have speedfan running all the time and sometimes my cpu temp will jump up to 110c! i've tried closing the program and restarting it but the same readings appear. i've also confirmed the readings with other programs like coretemp and the asus one and they all give similar readings. the cpu temp wont return to normal untill a restart then its fine again. i'm pretty damn sure its a false reading but because all the same programs give the same result i'm beginning to doubt myself especially as there's no incline of cpu temp it simply jumps straight up there! any ideas peolple? cheers

What does BIOS say about CPU temp? If it's close to the other programs' idle temp reading, then ignore Speedfan.

DJ-Specter

how can i check the bios temperature when i'm still in windows? if i check on bootup it displays normal readings. i'm pretty sure its speedfan screwing up but i need to be able to monitor the temps accurately - is there any way of configuring speedfan to stop malfunctioning? i think it might be something to do with the sensor as coretemp and the asus one give the same results. i dont know how it actually assess the temp but might it be a chip problem? thanks for the quick reply!

You cannot check the BIOS temperature while in Windows. Do you know what BIOS is?

Ah, I misread your first post, I thought the other programs read the normal temp while Speedfan was giving the 110. That is definitely a sensor error, rather than software. Pretty much unfixable.

crjdriver

What bios are you running? I just checked the asus site and there is a bios update for correcting thermal diode ie cpu temps. Note this bios was released approx 2 weeks ago.

crjdriver

If you decide to update your bios, please read and fully understand the instructions. An incorrect or corrupted flash will render your board unbootable.

DJ-Specter

mate, dont worry i know exactly what BIOS is and how to update it correctly. thank you very much for checking that out for me! i'm on the case as we speak. thanks again

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online