1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Misplacing files in Windows 7 libraries

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mastermiaow, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mastermiaow

Mastermiaow Thread Starter

Hi Everyone

I recently upgraded laptop and also moved from XP to Windows 7 and am now experiencing problems organising my files - sound familiar :) At the moment I am writing a dissertation and I liked XP Explorer because I knew exactly where everything was. What has been happening with Win 7 is that I have made several document locations within Libraries and that if I save a document in a folder in one location the document is not saved to the same folder in a different location. This is causing headaches :mad:. For example, I have a My Documents location and I put a Revisions folder in there. Revisions is actually a subfolder of Planning which is a subfolder of Literature Review which is a subfolder of Research which is a subfolder of Salomons(where I study) which is a subfolder of My Documents. I have another location which is Research so I could also access Revisions through there although I would have to go through another couple of folders to get to it. If I open the Revisions folder via My Documents location and make some changes to a document, these changes are not made to the document were I to access it through the Research location.
    For me the advantage of Libraries was that I didn't have to drill down to access subfolders but it is not working out that way. I wonder if I should get the old XP explorer interface back up as I just want simple and easy at this point :confused:

Many thanks for help

Matthew

2. ETech7

ETech7

Library - is just a collection of folders, which you can add and remove at your free will (just right-click library name and go to Properties). If you need a quick access to some "deeply places" sub-folders from Explorer, just add that folder to Favorites by drag'n'drop.

3. Mastermiaow

I just attempted downloading a spreadsheet and cutting and pasting into my 'surveymonkey' folder which I put in Favourites. However the spreadsheet did not appear in the 'surveymonkey' folder which is in the Research Location. That's what I am worried about - working with one folder in one location and any changes not being updated to the same folder in a different location. I can't understand why they wouldn't be synchronised as they are the same folder!

4. Rearden

Rearden Banned

It sounds like you have two folders with the same name with different paths. They will not synchronize unless you use software that specifically does this.

5. ETech7

ETech7

- is a different folder.

6. Mastermiaow

Thanks everyone for getting back

I am still struggling somewhat to organise my folders in Libraries and find the most efficient way to use them.
    I now have My Documents with all my folders in which I transferred from the old machine. This seems to work like the My Documents on XP - ahh what a relief :)
    If I download something from the web and want to put it in my Research folder, the only option I have is to go through My Documents so at least I know where I stand.
    I then removed the location of the old Research folder and added it again through My Documents and they are showing up with the same path - Hooray!
    C:\Users\Matthew\Documents\Salomons\Research - this is the one through My Documents
    C:\Users\Matthew\Documents\Salomons\Research - this is the one as a Library location

So if I want access to deep folders I guess I can do that by creating seperate locations for them or putting them in Favourites. As long as they have the same path as the same folder in My Documents, anything I work on via a location or Favourites will also be saved in the same folder in My Documents - is that right?

Many thanks again for your help

7. Rearden

Rearden Banned

Items in Favorites are just shortcuts. If you add a Favorite to the Research folder, then clicking it takes you to the Research folder. it's the same as if you browsed to the folder through Documents or Libraries or Windows Explorer. It's all the same folder.

8. Mastermiaow

Thanks for that. What I am trying to clarify is what is the difference between putting research folder as a location or in favourites (in terms of accessing it and its subfolders quickly)

9. Rearden

Rearden Banned

Anything in Favorites is just a shortcut. It's the same as if you put a shortcut to it on your Desktop.

10. Mastermiaow

Thank you. What therefore is the difference between a library location and a short cut. (I thought that the library location is also a kind of shortcut..)

11. ETech7

ETech7

Library can include many folders on your computer, but it saves to only one of them. For example, by default Documents library includes My Documents and Public Documents folders/locations, but when you drag and drop something into that library it saves into My Documents only.

A shortcut is just that - a link to its target folder/file. With it you can access only one location, but library shows you all the files in all the folders that library includes.

12. Mastermiaow

I think I get the idea about Libraries. In terms of writing my dissertation, I am not sure how helpful they are. I guess maybe when there is folder contents which is relevant to various bits of the dissertation. At the moment I am playing safe and just using My Documents as I have wasted too much time chasing disappearing documents and folders.

Many thanks everyone for your help :)

Matthew

13. Rearden

Rearden Banned

You would add different folders to a Library. You wouldn't add subfolders of the My Documents folder to the Documents Library. Since all of your folders are subfolders of My Documents, i don't see where you'd need to add additional folders to the Library.

14. Mastermiaow

OK so as I understand it. Libraries are for folders additional to My Documents like from external hard drives, networked PCs etc. I have only ever used My Documents so I guess I can forget about Libraries although I may use the favorites option...

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice