missing 35 gb from hard disk.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

4ajonah

hi, hope someone can help. My Toshiba satellite c50-b laptop has suddenly lost about 35gb from its normal 500gb. The shop is telling me this is due to a) Microsoft hiding the operating stem or b)'natural wastage'? I think this is lies but can't refute their claims. The disk management program does not show any hidden partitions. I only have the one c drive. I have been experimenting with Linux software but have removed them and tried resetting back to default and reinstalling window 10, but nothing gets me back to 500gb. Is this a problem with Toshiba hard disks? Hoping for any help.

nzkeyboard

Simon Peter Clotworthy
1GB according to the disk manufacturers is equal to 1,000,000,000 bytes. According to how the operating system (and the rest of the computing world) calculates it, it's equal to 1,024 megabytes, which in turn are equal to 1,024 kilobytes, which are themselves equal to 1,024 bytes. So one GB as per the disk manufacturer is really 1,000,000,000 / (1,024 x 1,024 x 1,024) = .931GB as measured by everybody else. So a "500GB" disk has 500 x .931GB of storage, or 465GB.

This isn't because your system isn't showing some available storage or because the formatting lost storage - it's just the byproduct of the disk manufacturers exaggerating the storage capacity. It's similar to stereo manufacturers overstating the wattage of their systems, tv manufacturers overstating the dimensions of their tv's, homebuilders overstating the square footage of houses, etc.

bobs-here

Bob
Is this a problem with Toshiba hard disks?
no, its quite normal and can be seen in all memory discs/drives. but due to the calculations, its more noticeable with bigger capacity HDD's as the discrepancy is much greater.

its the practice, of rounding down an awkward number. something thats been accepted from the beginning. also, when you format the drive you lose some capacity due to the fact the file format considers a GB as 1024MB, while the HDD considers it as 1000MB.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/295154-32-500gb-hard-drive-shows-space

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
4ajonah:

There's nothing wrong with your 500 GB hard drive.
What a hard drive is rated for is not what its actual capacity is.

For example:
A 500 GB hard drive actually has a capacity of about 465 GB.
A 750 GB hard drive actually has a capacity of about 698 GB.
A 1000 GB(1 TB) hard drive actually has a capacity of about 931 GB.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online