Missing BOOT.INI

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bob Parks

Hello,

After getting my computer back from the repair service I noticed a message "boot.ini invalid." Still the computer boots.

The BOOT.INI is not merely invalid - it ain't there. In the attached PDF you can see what I see.

How do I get the file back short of reinstalling Windows XP?

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
You can create a new one: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm

If you know what to put in the file, you can also create a text file named boot.ini and save it in your root directory then use Notepad to edit it. For Windows XP Pro SP2 running on the primary partition of a SATA or IDE drive in a system that has only one drive, this will work:
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Bob Parks

Hi Frank,
I guess I'm in for another repair bill. This machine has mirror RAID, partitioned drives and probably other features I don't know. Obviously not a task for a person with my very limited knowledge and skills. Thanks for pointing the way.
Bob

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
That does complicate it a bit. I would mention to the repair place you did not nave a boot.ini problem before they worked on it.

Hi,

If you want to have a go at it yourself:

boot.ini missing:

Fix #1

Boot.ini tab missing in msconfig

--------------------------------------------------

Fix #2

Set to 'Show hidden Files and Folders' in Control Panel => Folder Options => View
Then go to Start => Run and type in:

%windir%\pss

Look for a file named boot.ini.backup

Copy it to C:\ and Rename it to remove the .backup extension leaving just boot.ini

------------------------------------------------------

If the backup file doesn't exist, follow the instructions in this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online