Solved Missing Boot manager

dannys22

Well... Somehow I did it I guess. After successfully cloning my M.2 drive to my new NVMe drive and booted the system Ok Then I increased the volume of the C drive for maximum use. After a reboot I can't boot the drive any more. In the BIOS the boot sequence don't list the Windows Boot Manger for the drive. How can I rebuild or get it back?
THANKS for the help.
Danny

Last edited:

dannys22

The clone worked and I was able to boot from it. Then I expanded the volume and that's where I lost the Windows boot manager.
When I look at the BIOS, it list the correct drive maker, WD, and size, 1tb, but it's not listed as the Boot drive.
When I expanded the volume, it appears it either wiped it out or something.
Can the windows boot manger be rebuilt or how can I get it back? Will it happen again if I re-clone and expand the volume again?
Can I re-clone he drive with the partitions that are already in place or do I need to start over with a blank NVMe drive?
THANKS for the help.
Danny

1. Re-clone the M.2 to the NVMe.
  2. Set the computer to boot from the NVMe.
  3. Boot Windows from the NVMe.
  4. Tap the [Winkey], type in diskmgmt.msc and press [Enter].
  5. Post a screenshot.

dannys22

1. Re-clone the M.2 to the NVMe.
  2. Set the computer to boot from the NVMe.
  3. Boot Windows from the NVMe.
  4. Tap the [Winkey], type in diskmgmt.msc and press [Enter].
  5. Post a screenshot.
Here's shot with the NVMe drive in the USB enclosure from Diskmgmt.
Should I clone a blank disk or cover the present condition?
Thanks
Danny

Attachments

crjdriver

You can try repairing the boot files. Boot with a win10 install usb and choose Repair Computer option > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt. Once at the command prompt, type the following;
Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR and hit <Enter>
Next, type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT then hit <Enter>
If you are still not successful, the attempt to rebuild the boot sector. Type the following;
bootrec /RebuildBcd and hit enter.

If that does not fix the problem, either attempt another image/clone OR just clean install windows.

dannys22

You can try repairing the boot files. Boot with a win10 install usb and choose Repair Computer option > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt. Once at the command prompt, type the following;
If you are still not successful, the attempt to rebuild the boot sector. Type the following;

If that does not fix the problem, either attempt another image/clone OR just clean install windows.
Thanks. If I do another clone should I start with a blank disk or go over what's done already.
Danny

SUCCESS! THANKS. Here's the results of your instructions and a screen shot the disk management
Results

Bootrec/fixmbr
Completed successfully
Bootrec/fixboot
Access denied
Bootrec/rebuildbcd
Successfully scan installation: 1
D:\windows
Add installation to boot list Yes(Y) No (N) All (A) Y
The requested system device can not be found.

The BIOS now shows the windows boot master on the 1tb NVMe drive correctly I reboot and system boot normally.
THANKS AGAIN for the help.
Danny

Attachments

crjdriver

You are welcome. Once this drive has booted successfully a few times, I would make a backup image of the drive [in case you have more problems in the future]
I am going to mark this as solved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online