1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing bootable device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by angelmaster42682, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angelmaster42682

angelmaster42682 Thread Starter

Well i have been in the process of building a a new computer and i've got everything hooked up and i turned it on... got the options to start it up and all that fun stuff (the F2 and F12 options) after that bios tries to do it's thing and right away boom... missing boot device gives me 2 options (F1to attempt reboot or F2 for setup utility) i go into the setup utility and it indicates both hard drives as "Unknown Devices" i'm wondering do i have my wires crossed? Or is it something even simpler... and since i've got this topic open is there a way to disable the floppy drive seek...

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can disable the floppy controller in the bios.

Next it would really help if you posted the exact specs of the system you are attempting to get to boot; ie make and model of mb, brand and wattage of pw supply, brand and speed of ram, etc, etc, etc.

3. angelmaster42682

the specs are that of a dell slimline puter the info off the case is this.
    Model: DHP
    Volts: 115/230 V~
    Amps: 1.5/.075A
    HZ: 60/50
    IC Class B: ICES - 003
    RAM: 512 MB
    At the time of this post the only things added on is as follows:
    100 GB Maxtor HDD
    Mad Dog DVD Burner(18X burn speed)
    I hope this helps

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you posted you are building a computer however you list specs for a dell. Are you attempting to put a dell motherboard into a standard atx case or what exactly are you attempting to accomplish?

5. angelmaster42682

i've got it installed into a custom built case now i'm just trying to finalize the set up with trying to figure out why it doesn't see the bootable devices

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, at least we are getting somewhere. It would have been a good idea to post this idea before you tried doing the swap. Dell boards are proprietary; that is they are NOT made to the same specs as a standard atx board.

Attempting to install a dell board into a standard case is almost always going to give you problems; the mounting holes do not line up, the pci slots do not line up with the case, etc, etc.

With that said, have you attempted to boot with your xp or vista install disk?

7. angelmaster42682

unfortunately i don't have an XP bootable disc tho i can make one easily enough. my next question is can i safely install vista basic on that? unfortunately i don't know the processor in there to give you that piece of info but i will confirm that it is original to the board along with the 512 RAM... i'm wondering that if i strip out the extra goodies if it will run

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It does meet the min requirement of vista basic; 512 of ram. If you have onboard video, then you would NOT have 512 of ram; you would have whatever is not allocated to the onboard video.

Let me see if I understand what you are attempting to do.
    1 You have installed a dell mb into a standard atx case
    2 You have connected the hard disk to the board with an operating system already installed on the hard disk. It does not boot.

The very best advise I could give you would be to do one of the following;
    1 Just put everything back the way it was before you took it apart.
    2 Buy a motherboard that supports whatever cpu you have and install it in the new case. In addition to the new board, you would also need a new copy of windows since the dell one ONLY runs on dell hardware.

9. angelmaster42682

thanks for that info

1. the case is a custom handbuilt case designed for this project and i adjusted it around the existing motherboard and framework on the back as i took advantage of all existing spare framework to attach the board to it

1 Isn't an option since i hacked up the case to remove it
    2 seems to be going away from booting up the computer as everything powers up perfectly with the exception of finding a bootable device. so basically what i need to do is get my copy of Vista basic on it or a copy of XP?

::EDIT::
    I tinkered around and it now recognises my DVD drive so i should in theory be able to wipe the hard drive and install my choice of OS correct?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/793538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice