1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing CD/DVD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by empty_pocket, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. empty_pocket

empty_pocket Thread Starter

Hi all. I'm working on the laptop from Hades again with a different prob. this time. My neighbor brought it over and said the
    CD/DVD drv. worked intermittently, then disappeared altogether.

I looked it over and saw that it wasn't showing in Computer, nor Device Mgr., so I've been all over the internet and did these:
    Deleted LowerFilters in Reg. Edit. (UpperFilters wasn't listed)--rebooted--no success
    Physically removed and re-inserted the drv.--no success
    Ran MS FixIt--no success
    Booted into Safe Mode--drv. is not shown there either
    Ck'd. "dumbed down" PhoenixBIOS Setup vF.34--headings were Main, Security, System Configuration, Diagnostics, and Exit. In System Configuration>Boot Options>Boot Order:

ATAPI CD/DVD ROM Drive (I can hear the drv. "bump" during bootup)
    Notebook Hard Drive
    USB Diskette On Key
    USB Hard Drive
    Network Adapter

I let it go for a few days as I had others to work on, then she showed up up with a new drv. and insisted I install it. I told
    her I didn't think the drv. was at fault, but I installed it as she DID NOT want the old drv. back in it. When I booted into
    Windows, it found the new drv. and was shown in Computer and Device Mgr. After testing it with different CDs, DVDs, etc., all seemed OK until I tried to install MS Works (it got about halfway thru, then just sat there--no CD/DVD drv.activity whatsoever. I ck'd. Computer and Device Mgr.--no CD/DVD again!!!!!!!

I'm not a pc expert, so I'm now at a standstill. Could someone please help me fix this issue? Thanks in advance for any
    suggestions.

HP Pavilion dv9610us
    1.9GHz AMD Turion 64x2
    1GB RAM
    Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2

2. empty_pocket

No suggestions yet. Is this fixable????? Anyone???

3. Dougx789

Dougx789

Do you have another laptop you can plug the DVD drive into to check that it's operational? If the drive works in another laptop I would suggest the laptop may have some sort of corrupt system file or virus/malware and you should run antivirus scanners and sfc scannow.
    If the drive doesn't work in another laptop then I would suggest a fault with the motherboard/PSU.

Sorry I can't help but maybe once you have check if it the drive thats failed or the computer someone will be able to help from there.

4. empty_pocket

Thanks Doug. This is fresh install of Vista and I've already run sfc /scannow. All good there.

No other laptop is available that this drv. will fit, but the drv. spins up after inserting a disk and the activity light flickers. Then, eventually, there's no activity from it whatsoever.

5. Dougx789

Dougx789

6. empty_pocket

There aren't any other devices in Device Mgr. with !--not even with "Show Hidden Devices". The drv. is simply not to be found.

I've already tried the link u provided, and it indicated "The target drive is not found".

Thanks for hanging in here with me Doug. We'll get 'er done somehow surely.

7. Dougx789

Dougx789

Has this problem only existed since the fresh install or was the fresh install preformed after as a method of fixing the error?

If so did you install in this order? (chipset drivers before DVD drive drivers)

1 Install windows
    2 Update to latest service pack
    3 Install chipset/mb drivers
    4 Install sound, nic, drivers as necessary
    5 Install video driver

(order copied from crjdriver from this post http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1090801-64-bit-driver-problem.html)

If no to the first question and/or yes to the second question have you tried creating a live CD (eg of linux)?

8. empty_pocket

Doug, I shouldn't have said fresh install. I've done so many in the last couple of wks., but this particular laptop was here about 2 or 3 wks. ago with an unrelated prob. (don't remember what it was now--should keep notes on these darn things, but I've got enough to do w/o babysitting pc owners--that's beside our point tho. lol)

I got it again last wk. with this drv. intermittently disappearing, then the vanishing act became permanent now. When I did install Vista, it was with a Rec. Disk and all seemed to go well with that. I did follow the procedure for installing drivers as per your post because I stumbled onto that same link myself.

As to a Linux live, I do have Linux Puppy on CD, but have no idea how to use it to fix this prob. I'm not that familiar with Linux, and it seems, not familiar enough with Windows either. lol I'm not a pc guru, but I have gotten thru some sticky wickets in the past successfully. This one, tho, has me suckin' my thumb.

9. Dougx789

Dougx789

The thought with the live version of linux was to determine if its a hardware fault or software. If the live CD runs without fault then the hardware is working. If the Live CD crashes and the drive stops then it's a hardware issue.

10. empty_pocket

OK Doug, finally getting somewhere. Linux Puppy spins up and activity light flickers, but then spins down and boots normally into Vista.

Can u give me any ideas about what u mean by "hardware issues" please?

11. Dougx789

Dougx789

I'm leaning towards a motherboard issue... What issue (how to determine which part and how to fix it) however, I'm not sure. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Hopefully someone else will be able share their thoughts.

12. empty_pocket

Hey Doug. I was finally able to borrow an HP dv6000 and the new drive works perfect in it. Now if I could just get this one to see it.

13. empty_pocket

Still hoping for a guru with a miraculous solution to this. Thanks.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice