1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing cd rom drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ThisOldSoul, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ThisOldSoul

ThisOldSoul Thread Starter

:mad:

In the midst of playing a CD, I closed the software, ejected the CD. Now when I boot up it is only showing me one (instead of 2) drives. It' s as if the CD rom drive went missing. :mad: I am able to remove, insert CDs, but its not seen. How do I get it back?

(ive run scan disk already too)

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Try this:

Boot into Safe Mode - (tap F8 twice per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted);

Right click My Computer; Point to Properties; Click the Device Manager tab; Click the plus sign beside CDROM; Highlight each device inside CDROM, each in turn, and click the Add/Remove button until no main CDROM entry is present.

Repeat with each device below that, Display Adapters etc. (see exceptions below), removing all duplicate entries inside a main heading. If duplicates are present, remove all those Duplicate Entries Only, inside a main heading.

Do Not bother Hard Disk Controllers, System Devices, and USB controllers.

Restart via the Start button and Windows will redetect, refresh and only replace those devices needed. There is no use for 2 keyboards, CDROM etc. as those duplicates cause some of the errors you describe.

3. ThisOldSoul

I followed your instructions in safe mode. Removed everything under CD rom and under display adapters.

rebooted. Still one drive. Upon going to safe mode again, now no cd rom folder is there and only one thing exists in display adapters whereas before 2 cd roms existed and about 5 display adapters.

Since it is now not found, is this the indicator that it is broken?

thanks Styxx,
    Linda

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Right, that Safe Mode Device Manager procedure is a test to see if the hardware is broken. If the hardware isn't redected as you reboot back to normal mode it's likely broken or functioning improperly, plugged in wroing, etc. You booted back into Normal Mode via the Start button right? Bypassing only the exceptions listed above, you're supposed to remove allduplicates, Ok?

Therefore you should remove all the Display Adapters in Safe Mode then reboot to Normal Mode. Just read the instructions above carefully.

5. ThisOldSoul

Styxx---

Under device mgr, in SAFE mode, I did remove EVERYTHING from CD-rom, and from display adapters...then booted up normal. Thereafter there is not only nothing listed under CD-rom, there is no CD rom heading any more to delete anything from.

There is now one thing listed under display adapters. It did go through the new hardware found, reboot thing,,,,

So I am guessing it is broken and thus cannot be redetected. When i reboot it does say drives found: 1 instead of 2.

Do I need to delete anything from "disk drives"?

All I TOUCHED in device mgr was "CD-rom" and "display adapters", nothing else.

Thank you for your clarity, Styxx!
    Linda

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

You're certainly welcome, this a fun forum. Yes :( it appears you need to replace that CD-ROM drive but first, if you feel comfortable working on the internal computer components a little -

(be sure to unplug all cords [power especially] and ground yourself by touching the bare metal frame and holding your feet still, before touching inside the computer)

You might then more safely ensure the cables are seated properly in back of the drive and where the same grey cable plugs onto the mainboard. That this cable or its power supply counter part you can also gently push to ensure it's plugged in solid is one more troubleshooting step, the easiest, most likely trouble area and probably the most important is to run a CD Lens cleaning CD-ROM through it to ensure dust is not obscuring the laser lens and interfering with the drive's operation.

No, don't delete anything from inside the Disk Drives Safe Mode Device Manger main entry unless there are duplicates. If there are duplicates, just all and only the duplicates should be removed and computer restarted. Non-duplicate entries inside that main heading should be left alone. Read slowly and carefully.

Sadly though, the drive might just need replacing. Your call. :(

For questions or concerns please reply back.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice