1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Components from XP Home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Korbine, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Korbine

Korbine Thread Starter

My family got a computer built for them by a small local computer store. They also purchased the OS from this store, a store which has been busted twice now for selling bootleg copies of Windows. So yeah, my family's computer most likely has a bootleg copy of Windows XP Home (we originally didn't even have the OS CD-- my dad had to go back and request a copy).

Illegalities aside, the problem is a lot of stuff has been found to be inconveniently missing from this installation of XP Home.

All Windows Games were missing, MS Paint was missing, Windows Volume Control was missing; I fixed them all individually.

Everything in Start>Programs>Entertainment is still missing. Windows Sound Recorder is missing. Accessability Options in the Control Panel is missing (including Stickykeys settings -- I really want to disable that). I'm sure there's other stuff I'm missing that I haven't discovered yet.

Nothing that I'm currently missing can be restored from the installation CD (that I'm aware of?), nor from Add/Remove Windows Components. Is there one package somewhere I'm missing that could cover all of this? Is there a website I could download individual missing files from? It's like somebody took a virtual gun and shot out pieces of components at random. Total reinstallation is not an option at this time; it hasn't been inconvenient enough yet for me to get that desperate. Help!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and post back the report it creates:
    • Download MGADiag to your desktop.
    • Double-click on MGADiag.exe to launch the program
    • Click "Continue"
    • Ensure that the "Windows" tab is selected (it should be by default).
    • Click the "Copy" button to copy the MGA Diagnostic Report to the Windows clipboard.
    • Paste the MGA Diagnostic Report back here in your next reply.

3. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

4. Korbine

Korbine Thread Starter

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BGQY7-V4XJK-M268Y
    Windows Product Key Hash: 8+RZFtm6glOBMg3OJQHw43wudC4=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2146521-65296
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom
    ID: {1D80EA34-C7B3-4F3D-AE8B-6BE6865577F7}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: G:\Programs\Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Disabled
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Disabled
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Disabled

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{1D80EA34-C7B3-4F3D-AE8B-6BE6865577F7}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-M268Y</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2146521-65296</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1606980848-1532298954-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Manufacturer><Model>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>080015 </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="6"/><Date>20091029000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>47D5322701848E74</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

5. Korbine

Korbine Thread Starter

Thanks Bill, but that only restores start menu shortcuts. My problem is that the actual files are missing, not just the shortcuts.

6. surferdude2

surferdude2

Have you tried running SFC /SCANNOW using either the disk you have or another that may be less suspect?

Search the Windows directory for MSPAINT.EXE and see if exists???

Search the CD for MSPAINT>EX_ and see if exists???

7. Korbine

Korbine Thread Starter

Thanks Surferdude, I didn't know about SFC. Unfortunately I don't think it helped; I scanned, it finished, and nothing popped up.

I've already got MS Paint back, I was just using it as an example of some of the things that -were- missing :) Among what's still missing: The entire shortcut contents of Start>Programs>Entertainment were missing by default. Windows Sound Recorder, and Control Panel>Accessibility Options are missing entirely. There are probably others.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    bicycle bill,

An alert member would notice "likely has a bootleg copy" and Report to put the onus onto a moderator. In fact, that's what brought me to this thread. :) This is just a heads up.

surferdude2,

This is an unofficial warning. I won't give you an infraction this time, but do not offer help in a thread in which the OP or a moderator has raised a flag that the software may be pirated.

Korbine,

As far as I can tell your family got a legitimate System Builder's XP. Perfectly appropriate. Thanks for promptly posting the requested data.

Given that those first two suggestions didn't work I suggest you try a Repair Install. My first time doing this was a big success--fixed the problems and the only gliltch was that I had to uninstall/re-install my network connected all-in-one. The 2nd time I made a mistake and ended up with a fresh install--so pay attention to the warnings in that article. :)

9. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Point well taken. This old 81 year old did was not thinking . Will read a post more closely in the future.

10. surferdude2

surferdude2

TerryNet,

Actually I never posted any aid until I noticed that his system was apparently declared "Genuine" by the MGA Diagnostic report that you asked him to run.

I fail to see how that warrants any kind of warning, official or otherwise. :mad:

[inappropriate content deleted by mod] I have never started a post here asking for help and likely never will. [inappropriate content deleted by mod]

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You neglected to allude to that in your previous post.

12. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Surferdude2,

While we understand that you saw the report and understood the OS to be genuine, as I understand these things, some can still show "genuine" when their not and even researching parts of the data can be inconclusive, thus it's not always that obvious that a system is genuine from those reports. Too, those reports present a lot of info.......some people skip over long posts like that. Since there wasn't any indication on your part that you had actually read the validation info and understood it, the moderator was simply giving out a general warning both to you and to Bill about making sure one asks for, and can understand, about the validity of the OS in these cases. It's our policy to post warnings in threads so that everyone, including those that read these threads, understand the board rules and policies.

Regardless, however, of how you felt towards Terry's post, the proper procedure regarding a moderator's actions would have been to either PM Terry or an Admin to address your complaint of a moderation or a moderator instead of in the thread on the forums. Cookiegal and I are both happy to review any complaints members may have about any moderation in private.

13. surferdude2

surferdude2

Laura,

I am absolutely flabbergasted by this whole incident. I was so naive as to think that the moderator would catch his mistake and if not apologize for coming on so strong, then at least explain it. Instead I received further rude treatment by having my post partially censured so that anyone reading it would think I had written something inappropriate or profane. On the contrary, I stated the facts clearly and used proper etiquette.

Then, if that wasn't enough, I get an email today stating that an "infraction" had been levied against me for "Disrespect to a moderator"!

Now you get involved and rule that I should have explained that I had read the previous post of the MGA report before offering any help. You further state that a MGA report may not be true so I shouldn't go by even though the moderator accepted it as valid and proceeded to offer help, albeit after improperly chastising me for doing so.

Now you suggest that I should not publicy post my objection to being treated so rudely but should PM's them instead.

In summary I say:
    1. I always read all previous posts but don't feel it necessary to state that each time I post.

2. I doubt that MS would agree that their MGA report is not reliable.

3. I don't use PM's or use any other "backroom" means to respond to an inappropriate public scolding, I always respond using the same forum where it occurred.

4. I treat people with the respect they deserve and won't tolerate rude treatment by others.

5. I must say, after receiving this rude treatment by a moderator and then reading your post, the battery on my BS alarm is now completely exhausted.

I don't usually spend this much time explaining my actions to anyone but I'm making an exception this time. I sincerely hope it is of some value to you in managing what is an excellent help forum.

14. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

The comments were felt to be inappropriate to a moderator's actions. Inappropriate comments to moderators are generally removed from the public boards since it should be taken up privately.

Yes, Admin usually do when there is a conflict between a member and a moderator, since all actions such as editing a post or levying an infraction are recorded for review.

Yes, that is proper procedure when having an issue with a moderator's actions.

We didn't ask for that.

I can't comment for them.

It is not a "backroom" means of responding to a moderator, it is the appropriate means of responding to any moderation, as per the board policy. To be clear, this is in response to a moderator's actions, not the general membership. Using the board to complain about the moderator will result in a formal warning or infraction......which, by the way, no one else would have known about had you not mentioned it.

As we try to. No one was disrespectful to you, personally, in any way. It was simply a "let others know you saw that" on an area that can be tricky for some members to understand.

We're sorry you feel that way. This started out as a simple "heads up" by a moderator on the general use of the board in a grey situation, and should have been taken that way and left that way in the beginning, in our opinion.

Nor do I usually spend this much time explaining a moderation in a thread. It is precisely because you have been helpful in the past and frankly, we cannot understand why this was blown out of proportion.

That is exactly what we have been trying to do here and exactly why the original informal warning was explained in the thread. It is of great value to others to understand that we are not able to automatically know that a member has read previous long logs or technical information and that when a moderator has asked for validation, and hasn't been back to the thread yet, it's helpful to mention something like "I see the log says ........."

I hope this clarifies things a bit and the thread can get back on track. :)

15. Korbine

Korbine Thread Starter

Oh geez, I didn't mean for an argument to break out on my thread or anything.
    (But for the record, I do think Terry kind of jumped on SurferDude in a way that was a little harsh. Just my opinion.)

Re: The Actual Topic:
    I'll definitely be bookmarking that Repair Install thing, but since it stresses backing up of all data before trying it, it's making me paranoid :D It may not be worth it for me to try at this time. I was hoping this was a known issue and there was an easier fix. Thank you all though!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!