1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing configFree files but what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by koolcroc3, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. koolcroc3

koolcroc3 Thread Starter

I recently downloaded a virtual CD program called Magic Disc which is freewere, from Tucows but the software crashed my computer. I have attempted to uninstall it but it does not have an uninstall program availiable in ADD/REMOVE.

The computer also has stopped me accessing the internet and more worryingly I cannot get access to my RESTORE points to roll back the system.

I also have two messages:

Not found TOSIBA Network Device Usermode I/O Protocol.
    Please reinstall ConfigFree.

WARNING
    Cannot Access Volume Control! [/I]

How can I reset my computer to solve these issues.

The main thing I want to do is get a restore point back so i can undo whatever damage the software has done to my system. I thought Tucows was a reputable site for share and freeware!

PLEASE HELP

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try restoring in Safe Mode. I had problems with the same program. There are a lot of good, free virtual disk programs out there.

Tucows and other sites rarely test software. They go by author's notes and opinions. So you can't trust software simply because it is available for download. Reading user opinions sometimes helps.

3. endfro

endfro

Google "Windows Install Cleanup". There is a piece of software that will sometimes show you installed programs that are not listed in your Add/Remove Programs option box.

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

But, this app ONLY allows you to delete the Installer files. It does NOT remove any of the actual program files.

The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility does not perform the following functions: • Remove Windows Installer
    • Remove files of any programs that are installed by Windows Installer

5. WhitPhil

What happens when you try System Restore?

Another option is to try from a Command prompt

6. koolcroc3

koolcroc3 Thread Starter

I have not used this function. Could the program I downloaded somehow delelted this? If so how can I undo this. The really I need to be able to connect with my Restore function so I can roll back the settings but cannot do so. Any ideas?

7. WhitPhil

8. allheart55

allheart55

Hi koolcroc3, Try booting into safe mode, then delete the folder in C:\Program Files/magicdisc and unwise.exe.
    Then boot into regular Windows and download CCleaner from here...

http://majorgeeks.com/CleanUp_d4895.html Once it has installed, run first the cleaner tab, and then after doing that, run the issues tab. That should delete the registry entries for MagicDisk. Good Luck!

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

I wouldn't suggest running CCleaner or any other registry cleaner to solve problems. They are likely to create more.

10. WhitPhil

Since the program appears to be still "installed", even if CCleaner does it job correctly, no entries to this program should be removed.

And, I agree with Elvandil. Cleaners tend to do more damage than good!

11. koolcroc3

koolcroc3 Thread Starter

Thanks WhitPhil,

I used your Safe Mode with Command Prompt and have been given access to the Restore facilitiy. It is restoring back to a previous point now. I will let you know what happens once it completes but for now a job well done. thanks koolcroc

12. endfro

endfro

If you want a virtual dvd/cd drive application. Use Daemon Tools. In my opinion its the only one worth it out there.

13. koolcroc3

koolcroc3 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice

14. koolcroc3

koolcroc3 Thread Starter

It's all good. Restore worked a treat. Thanks for your great advice.

15. koolcroc3

koolcroc3 Thread Starter

Thanks WhitPhil, It worked a treat

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!