1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing/Corrupt Files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VoodooDragon, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoodooDragon

VoodooDragon Thread Starter

Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.

I have been using an external hard drive nexstar 3 for a couple of years now. Trouble is, I've noticed that quite a number of files (notepad, word etc.) and also many image files are missing or corrupt. I have defragmented hard drive as well as searched for errors.

It's not full to capacity, in fact it 125 GB of free space left, so I'm not quite sure what's going on. Is there anything I can do to get my files and images back? Images are there but when I attempt to open them the error in a pop up states:

1. could not complete your request because invalid SOS, DHT, DQT, OR EOI JPEG marker is found before a JPEG SOI marker

2. could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found

Word docs/notepad files are also there but again when I go to open them the documents are full of weird text.

Not all files are corrupt, most I can view but I would say that at least 30% of the docs and images on the external HD are corrupt in some way. Can anyone suggest anything, or are they pretty much lost for good?

Thanks

p.s I'm not sure if I need to give more info on the hard drive??

2. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Welcome to the TSG forums...

As you mentioned, more information about your external HDD would be appreciated... I'm curious about the HDD inside your external enclosure; how is it formatted? FAT32 or NTFS? What size is it? What make and model is the HDD itself? I realize that you might not have ever opened the enclosure, but I'd really like to know some specific details about the HDD... I understand that it is a Nexstar product, but I want to know the BRAND of the HDD itself to see if we can do some tests with disk utility software from the HDD maker...

The BAD news is, those corrupted files are probably damaged beyond repair. I'd suggest that you copy them (COPY them, do NOT try to MOVE them) onto your internal HDD as soon as possible, then burn them to a CD/DVD, just in case any of them can be salvaged. I know that will seem like a lot of work; it IS a lot of work, but if you really want to try to save any of that data, burning those files to an optical disk is probably your best bet.

OTOH, if you have some fairly large flash drives (AKA USB thumb drives) lying around, you could try to copy the files from the Nexstar3 HDD to the flash drives, which would avoid the process of copying to the internal HDD first, then burning them onto optical media...

Lastly, just about ANY type of flash media you can read and write to from your computer would also work; my digital camera uses SD media, and I have SD card readers in two of my systems. I've used my SD cards to move files when all my thumb drives were full or in use...

Best of luck to you; I hope this turns out well for you...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice