1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing/corrupt <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chickenwings, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickenwings

chickenwings Thread Starter

OK, I did a really stupid thing :eek: , though the resulting problem has not been too bad so far...

I have Windows XP Pro installed in my laptop... the hard disk is NOT partitioned... I wanted to install Windows Server 2003 operating system on the machine... However, I wasn't able to find my external CD ROM drive, so I used a network connection to dump the contents of the Windows Server 2003 installation CD on to my laptop's hard disk and tried to install it...

When trying to install, I got a message that this should be installed on another partition, and not on the same existing partition where XP was residing, but I didn't bother to read the message and clicked next...

Yes, I know, these are all very dumb things to do :eek: ... forgive me... :(

Anyways, for a few seconds it appeared that the installation was continuing as it was supposed to, and then about 10 seconds later I got the message that Windows Server 2003 OS was successfully installed...

I knew that something was wrong because the OS cannot install so quickly... anyways I restarted my machine, and at startup I got the usual message when 2 operating systems are installed on one machine... that I should choose which OS to start up with... when I chose Windows Server 2003, I got the following message:
    Windows could not start because missing/corrupt <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Fortunately, when I restarted and chose Windows XP, the computer still started and is functioning perfectly...

Now that startup message comes up on every startup, the one about choosing which OS I want to start with... the Windows Server 2003 OS is obviously not really installed... just some vestige of it is... how do I get rid of that message at every startup?? :confused:

Also, from browsing the internet, I get the feeling that it has something to do with my boot.ini file... anyone know where that file is located in XP? :confused:

Thanks a ton! :D

2. chickenwings

chickenwings Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!