1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing DDRAW.DLL file

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by JosieM, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JosieM

JosieM Thread Starter

When I am attempting to retrieve my photos from my digital camera I get the following error message: "A required DLL file, DDRAW.DLL, was not found." I reinstalled the camera software and got the same message. I did a search for the file, and it IS on my computer. I have not used my camera in months. Since I last used it I did a REG clean and unchecked some stuff in my system tray. What must I do to get this file in the right place? Possibly restore my registry??? Didn't want to do anything 'til I got great advice from you guys. I am running ME.
    Thanks loads!
    Josie

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

The dll file may need to be registered. Here's a quick tip to make it easier to register dll files and ocx files, place a shortcut to regsvr32.exe in the SendTo folder, you can then right click on any DLL or OCX file, select Send To and then click on the shortcut and it will be automatically registered.

3. JosieM

JosieM Thread Starter

Sorry. I don't understand these instructions. Could you explain a little simpler. Thanks.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Where is it on your computer? What operating system?

Ddraw.dll is not a self-registering library.

5. JosieM

JosieM Thread Starter

I am running ME. The file is in C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP. I tried copying the file to the FinePix folder. I got no error message, but nothing opened. At this point I have uninstalled all of the camera software. Whatever I did made my system very slow. So now I need to start reinstalling. Thanks!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

7. JosieM

JosieM Thread Starter

Hi Me again!
    I've made full circle. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled. DirectX 8 was installed as part of the software. I am still getting the same error message: DDRAW.DLL file not found. Now what's this about registering the file?? How do I do that, and why wasn't it done when I reinstalled? Please help!
    Thanks,
    Josie

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Search for ddraw.dll now to see where you have copies. It will only be found (probably) if it is in your system directory.

Go to Start > Run, and type: dxdiag

Look under the Files tab. ddraw.dll should be the first one listed if DirectX is properly installed.

9. JosieM

JosieM Thread Starter

BTW, I am running ME. No success putting it in Run -- error message. But I did "Search" and found dxdiagn.dll listed first -- location: Windows\System. When searching "ddraw.dll", it is in Windows\SYSBCKUP. What now?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

If dxdiag does not run, you don't have DirectX installed or installed correctly.

I'd suggest you go to the link above and install DirectX 9.0b from there. If you have a slow connection, explore the CD that came with your software and look for a DirectX folder. Inside you should see a DirectX setup file. 8 is better than nothing!

11. JosieM

JosieM Thread Starter

Elvandil, I downloaded the DirectX 9 from above link. When I went to install it, I received this error message: "Setup could not download the file. Please retry later or chek network connection." I tried again while connected to Internet. Same message. I just don't get it. What's up with this machine?

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Maybe not the machine. The setup program you downloaded then downloads the remaining components. Maybe it couldn't get through for some reason.

If you don't mind a hefty download, you can download the entire DX9.0 file instead of the setup file which then downloads the rest. Save it and you can then reinstall any time you need:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...DB-DCCE-43EA-87BB-7C7E1FD1EAA2&displaylang=en

If you don't want this hefty download, then get a recent game CD and explore that. Almost all have DirectX on them. Again, look for a setup file in the DirectX folder, but I wouldn't go any lower than 8.0.

13. aolsux

aolsux Banned

try following the instructions in the following Microsoft Knowladge Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;248610&Product=gms

EDIT: Ignore that it says it only applies to microsoft games as this may solve your problem even though it's not occuring from a microsoft game

14. JosieM

JosieM Thread Starter

I attempted to DL DirectX. Much too large. Would take 15 hrs. So now please tell me, is DirectX installed with the OS? I'm beginning to think that I just "might" have uninstalled it a few months ago (thinking I surely don't need this) :( Anyway, I have the DirectX setup files on my computer and on the digital camera software. So as I understand you, I need the whole program? So where do I get it, on the ME installation? Any other sources? I don't have the ME CD.
    Thanks for your patience with this problem. My camera was working fine a few months ago! Hope to return it to active duty soon!
    Josie

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

There usually isn't an option to uninstall DirectX. It is considered part of the operating system. But it can be removed with a hack job and file deletion!

DirectX does come with ME, but that would be an older version. DirectX contains multimedia drivers and needs to be updated to keep up with new hardware, games, and other software. You really need a recent version.

Now, what do you mean that you have the DirectX setup on your computer and on the camera software? Did you find a folder on the camera software's CD that was called "DirectX"? And where is it on your computer?

If you have a folder named "DirectX" on your cam's CD, then open the folder and look for a file named "setup" or "DirectXsetup", or something along those lines. If you find it, click on it and install DX.

DirectX comes with a lot of software. You can check Office and game CD's for it, too.

When you install the software for your camera, was there an option to install DirectX, too? If so, reinstall the camera software and choose the DX installation, too.

When you have DX installed successfully, you should be able to go to Start > Run, and type: dxdiag
    That will perform diagnostics of DX and tell you if it is working properly.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice