Missing Desktop Icons and Wallpaper

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jadejoky

I have perplexing problem. Dell Dimension 4600 running Windows Xp Home. SP2. I have no icons on desktop and cannot load any background wallpaper through display properties. They background choices are listed but cannot be selected. I do have icons when running in safe mode. This system was infected with several viruses and lots of spy/adware. Had alot of trouble removing Startpagedu.dll and New Poly Win32 trojans. I am wondering if I missed something. Ran Spybot, Adaware, Webroot Spysweeper, eScan Antivirus Toolkit, Norton Antivirus, Hijack This, CWShredder, AboutBuster, Ewido Security Suite. All of these were ran in safe mode. I also deleted all tempfiles and made sure no rogue services were running. I am lost about what to do next.:confused: Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

click on the task bar at the bottom to load the icons or i think that it is possible to do this under the desktop properties (right click on desktop and properties) have you tried opening a picture then set as wallpaper?

Go into task manager and check the processes that are running.
Maybe some are using 100% cpu time, if there is end the process.

awalker0878

Removed by request
try this:
run regedit
navigate to these subkeys:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explor er]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explo rer]
And
Delete all restrictions under these ex. NoDesk:DWORD:000000001

jadejoky

I tried the above soloutions but nothing seemed to work. I ran regcleaner and it found 4 corrupt dll files. I let it fix them and viola, the desktop was back. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Jay:)

It may be time for a nice clean format...you may have a lot of resident junk files on that sytem leftover from all those viruses.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online