1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Desktop Icons and Wallpaper

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jadejoky, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jadejoky

jadejoky Thread Starter

I have perplexing problem. Dell Dimension 4600 running Windows Xp Home. SP2. I have no icons on desktop and cannot load any background wallpaper through display properties. They background choices are listed but cannot be selected. I do have icons when running in safe mode. This system was infected with several viruses and lots of spy/adware. Had alot of trouble removing Startpagedu.dll and New Poly Win32 trojans. I am wondering if I missed something. Ran Spybot, Adaware, Webroot Spysweeper, eScan Antivirus Toolkit, Norton Antivirus, Hijack This, CWShredder, AboutBuster, Ewido Security Suite. All of these were ran in safe mode. I also deleted all tempfiles and made sure no rogue services were running. I am lost about what to do next.:confused: Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

2. pehbond

pehbond

click on the task bar at the bottom to load the icons or i think that it is possible to do this under the desktop properties (right click on desktop and properties) have you tried opening a picture then set as wallpaper?

3. ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

Go into task manager and check the processes that are running.
    Maybe some are using 100% cpu time, if there is end the process.

4. awalker0878

awalker0878 Removed by request

try this:
    run regedit
    navigate to these subkeys:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explor er]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explo rer]
    And
    Delete all restrictions under these ex. NoDesk:DWORD:000000001

5. jadejoky

jadejoky Thread Starter

I tried the above soloutions but nothing seemed to work. I ran regcleaner and it found 4 corrupt dll files. I let it fix them and viola, the desktop was back. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Jay:)

6. Nethervue

Nethervue

It may be time for a nice clean format...you may have a lot of resident junk files on that sytem leftover from all those viruses.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice