1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by seelsa73, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seelsa73

seelsa73 Thread Starter

Greetings techguy patrons, this is my first day here (first hour really) and my first post, obviously. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with this problem that came up randomly a few days ago that I've been trying to solve ever since.

Here's the deal: the other day, when I turned on my laptop, I was greeted with a blue screen that said "OneDrive Options: This service can not be accessed at this time, please try again later." My only onscreen option was to click cancel, so I did. To my dismay, when I got to my desktop, I found it bare of everything except the recycle bin, and these notices: [​IMG]
    And then when I try to fix anything, a notice pops up in the screen that says "[such and such] can't be opened using the built-in administrator account". I restarted into safe mode where everything is as it should be; desktop, programs, everything, except that again I couldn't change anything.

Now, I posted this problem on another forum and they pointed me to this thread on this site. I did what it said: I went to my user folder and copied everything from there into the systemprofile folder. While I was able to get all the icons back, I was unable to open any programs. Now I am totally at a loss as to how to proceed, accept to refresh windows, which I only want to use as a last resort, which bring us up to the present: on my laptop, in safe mode, pleading for help from you fine folks.

Can anyone tell me what is going on and/or how I can fix it? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6074 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -2016 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 454342 MB, Free - 166555 MB; D: Total - 21552 MB, Free - 2161 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 8014
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. valis

valis Moderator

howdy seelsa73 and welcome. I've merged your threads together, please do not create duplicate threads, as that can get rather confusing.

thanks,

v

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

When a computer is feeling sick, the most important thing is to ensure that the user Data is safe.

Q1 - Do you have important personal data files on this computer ?
    Q2 - If "yes" to Q1 then do you have backups of those files ?
    Q3 - If "no" to Q2 then are you able to make backups of those files now ?

T.

4. seelsa73

seelsa73 Thread Starter

I'm not sure what you mean by personal data files. Do you mean my documents and music and such? Those I do have backed up, but as far as my programs are concerned, no I don't, but I'm sure I have the .exe files somewhere on this thing.

5. Tabvla

Tabvla

Yes, by "personal data files" I mean your Documents, Music, Photos..... and so on.

As you have a Backup of these we can try a number of possible solutions without fear of losing any of your personal data.

The first thing that you should try is to Restore the system to a previous state when you know it was working correctly.

Login as the Administrator and then type Restore at the Start Screen. Follow the onscreen prompts to restore the system to a previous time.

If you are unsure about how to do this then please ask.

T.

6. seelsa73

seelsa73 Thread Starter

I have tried that already and it didn't work.

7. Tabvla

Tabvla

I reread your first post to this Thread and you did not mention that you had tried System Restore. Rereading your first post it seems like there are several issues which may or may not be related to each other.

Can you explain how you login. For example....

a) Do you use a Standard or Administrator type account to login
    b) Is this account a Local account or a Microsoft account

T.

8. seelsa73

seelsa73 Thread Starter

You're right, I forgot to mention that i did a restore in my original post. My apologies. I sign in using the administrator account, which uses my hotmail address and password.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice