Missing Device File

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fhatcher

I recently un-installed Norton Anti-Virus 2005.

Now, everytime I restart my computer, the follwing message appears on the screen:

"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application. The Windows Registry or the SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists."

C:\PROGRA~1SYMANTEC\SYMVENT.386

How can I resolve this issue?

Thank You,

Fred

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Norton Antivirus is a real bear to uninstall and totally clean out.

Look in the C:\PROGRAM FILES folder and make sure that any leftover folder with the name SYMANTEC, NORTON, and LIVEUPDATE has been deleted. Right-click on it, then click Delete - Yes.

Click Start - Run, type in REGEDIT, then click OK. Click the + in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software

In the Software sub-menu of both, make sure that any leftover SYMANTEC and NORTON folder is deleted. Right-click on it, then click Delete - Yes.

Reboot afterwards.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Only thing worse than installing Nortons is uninstalling it .For a clean uninstall it is a
good idea to visit the Symantec site.The actual uninstaller is available there but is
easier to locate(Symantec are in denial,not believing anyone would want to UNINSTALL
Nortons) by typing 'uninstalling nortons av or whatever' into the search bar.Flavalee's
advice does the same thing,only manually.Using the search box will find any files left
on the system.Std Disclaimer:I use & recommend System Works& Utilities,it saves a
lot of time&money for me & my clients.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online