1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Disk F: Important Documents Please help!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by safah, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. safah

safah Thread Starter

Hi, I need help recovering my F drive. It just disappeared a couple days ago. It is over 150GB and has all my important files and pictures. I've restarted my computer several times and sometimes it shows up but I cannot access it. It gives me an error message about I/O. It will not show up in the disk management tool either. Also I keep getting messages to format my f drive but I don't want to lose any work..

I've been using this F drive for about 6 months since my Disk C ran out of space. Strange thing is I had 111GB on my Disk C that has been diminishing although I don't have any large downloads. I transferred ALL my docs and photos to F drive. Now C is still full although I only have Adobe (PS, IL) program files and Microsoft office type things installed. I need help getting my F drive back :( Please any tips?

I have Windows 7 home premium.

2. valis

valis Moderator

Howdy and welcome. Is the f drive an external hard drive or a partition on the internal one?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Is your computer (which you didn't describe) a desktop/tower or a laptop/notebook?
    Does it have 1 hard drive divided in C: and F: partitions or does it have 2 separate C: and F: hard drives?
    If it has 2 separate hard drives, are they both internal or is 1 of them external?

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. safah

safah Thread Starter

Hi, I have a desktop a Dell Precision 690 to be exact. The F drive is an internal partition and i believe it is separate from the C drive. They used to both show up under the "hard disk drive" section.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Dell Precision 690 WorkStation
    What's the exact "service tag" number and "express service code" number on yours?
    It sounds like that desktop has a single hard drive in 2 ( C: and F: ) partitions.
    Does it have the original hard drive that came in it?

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I read another thread a few hours ago (which I can't locate) that has to do with a Dell Precision 690 WorkStation.
    Is that your thread under a different username, or is it a different person with the same desktop?

7. safah

safah Thread Starter

Hi Frank, nope this is the only thread I created.
    The service tag is: B50zmc1
    I'm not sure how to find the service code though.
    This screenshot is what I see in Disk management.

Attached Files:

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That's not a valid service tag number.
    I tried B50ZMC1 and B5QZMC1 and got a "not found" on both.
    If you're not sure what the service tag number is, submit the express service code number.
    Once that Dell is correctly identified and we access its support site, it'll show what capacity hard drive it came with.

Capture.JPG

According to your Disk Management image, it appears that Dell has a 120 GB(111.7 GB actual capacity) hard drive which is labeled C:
    There is no F: drive.
    You need to remove the side panel of the case and confirm if it has 1 or 2 physical hard drives.
    If it has 2 physical hard drives, make sure all power and data cables to them are secure.
    The BIOS setup screen should also show if 1 or 2 physical hard drives are detected and listed.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  9. Lance1

Lance1

Go here---> System configuration for your Precision 690 Click the Current Configuration tab. Click Detect Product. It'll ask you download Dell System Detect Launcher. Leave the DELL page open, run the program. It'll give you the info Frank needs. It'll look like this.

1.jpg

10. safah

safah Thread Starter

Hi Frank! I'm not too computer savvy but took I off the side panel to see if it was 1 or two drives and just looked like a jumble of parts to me. Here's a photo if you can make anything out.
    And Lance Thanks! I was trying to figure out where to find the codes and was having a hard time. Here's a photo of both codes as well.

Attached Files:

11. safah

safah Thread Starter

My F Drive is randomly showing up but I cannot click it or open it. It just says I/O error. Then it disappears once again.

12. Lance1

Lance1

Hi safah. I don't see a date stamp on that DELL image. Did you download the System Detect Launcher program and run it? If you look at my post you'll see the date stamp there. As for the pic of your system, you have two SATA hard drives. The drive letter F is usually reserved for floppy drives. Do you have a floppy drive? I see IDE ribbons running up the front of the case to your optical drive. Right below that drive would be the location for the floppy. I suspect the top hard drive is your primary drive and the one below is the secondary drive. Unplug the blue SATA cable from the secondary drive blow out the contact and make sure its clear of dust and grime. Do the same on the other end of the cable to the main board. Plug it back in and make sure it is secured and boot your system. This is just for a test to rule out a connection issue.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  13. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    There does, in fact, appear to be a FDD installed, but they are normally either A: or B:. There appear to be 2 IDE optical drives installed as well. That would account for drives D: and E:. It would seem that the second HDD was installed later, making it, by default, F:.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

Can you take a closer and clearer photo of this area?
    There appears to be 2 SATA hard drives installed, but I can't tell for sure.

----------------------------------------------------------------

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    HERE is your Dell Precision 690 Workstation desktop.
    It shipped in March 2007 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows XP Professional SP2 32-bit.
    It came with a single Seagate 80 Gb SATA 3.0 Gb/s hard drive.
    It came with a Hitachi LG DVD-ROM IDE disc drive.
    It came with a Phillips DVD+/-RW IDE disc drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice