1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing dll

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by carltasha, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carltasha

carltasha Thread Starter

on another computer I have a missing required dll file , d3d8.dll . so i go to dll world and download the file , unzip and run " regsvr32 d3d8.dll " as instructed . I get " LoadLibray{"d3d8.dll"} failed. GetLastError returns 0x00000485" . now I just did this a few weeks ago but I cant remember how I did it . any help would be nice . it is running win 98 . thanks

2. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Hi carl,

Have you tried to add the file using SFC ( system file checker)?

Another way might be to drag it into the Windows/System directory.

Spaceman

3. IMM

IMM

It's part of the Direct-X v8.1 package. If you have the download of directx81 on your machine you could overinstall directx (I'd delete (or rename) the dll you downloaded first, if I was doing that).

It could also be bad drivers or a bad app (incompatible with 8.1). What are you trying to start when this happens?

4. carltasha

carltasha Thread Starter

I have never used SFC , I dont even know how to get to it . maby you can help me . edit , I will try getting DX update thanks . Everquest .

5. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

carl,

Go to Start / Find / Files and Folders / type in d3d8.dll and enter Find Now. See where/if it shows up. If the only one is the one you just downloaded, then you could drag it from where it is to the Windows/System directory and drop it. This you would do in Windows Explorer.

If it is already there, then as IMM said....rename the old one before you drag and drop.

SM

6. carltasha

carltasha Thread Starter

OK ,,,yup ,, DX 9 and its going , thanks , and by the way the drag and drop in the windows/ system is how I did it last time . I think this is better . Thank you both.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice